Official Top Ramen Noodle Making Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I am talking about those crappy $.25 packets. I have used them in so many ways it is insane! I mean insane! They get cooked into stir fry's, soup, appetizer, fried noodle balls, just noodles, super ghetto gormet in total. I even had a Top Ramen cookoff and the winner did a coconut shrimp recipe that was awesome! What have you used them for?

Tonight, I am using them in the traditional way. Soup.

photo-777267.jpg

I like it with some of this:

kikkoman_soy.jpg

and a little bit of this:

11014_sriracha_sauce_lg.jpg

The Sriracha sauce is soooooo good in it. Adds spice and flavor in ways I can't explain. The soy sauce is just adding salt and a little flavor, but mainly salt (as if there wasn't enough).

What do you do with your packet?

*Mods, if this isn't the right place for this thread, then move to appropriate area. I am druck, but this is a lifestyle choice, not a rambling :D

I'll break them up a bit on a big plate, sprinkle some of the seasoning on them and eat them uncooked for a salty snack.

Okay, time to blow some peoples faces off. I lived on this my sophomore year of college before I realized it's not to expensive to get good food (plus, all my money was going towards beer!)

1) Make ramen on the stove in boiling water, leaving the noddles whole (semi-important. You can break it in half if you wish.)

2) When noodles are soft, drain out all but a tiny bit of water

3) Add spice packet and mix slightly, using the water you left over to help spread it

4) Put it back on the heat and crack an egg into that mofo!

5) Stir and stir and stir and........... until the egg appears to have scrambled onto the noodles

6) Add Cock sauce (Matt, I had no idea it actually had a name! Most people I know call Sriracha Cock Sauce due to the rooster)

7) ....

8) Profit

Seriously, try it. It's delicious

I....love....you...

I always call it the Rooster Sauce, but started calling it the Sriracha Sauce when I couldn't find it in the normal bottle and had to know the name. Now I come to find out that like Soy Sauce, if you call it Kikoman then you are only half right...so to speak.

Reno, I grew up in Quincy. So if you are really Reno, you and I know some of the same folks. Srsly

ahahahh, I'm the only person I know that calls it Cock Sauce. :D awsome to hear that I'm not alone.

When I was in high school my parents went on a crazy diet and tried to get my sister and I to eat the nothing sprouts they were. we refused and demanded an allowance for food. I think I got ten bucks a week. I soon realized that I could buy a case of ramen for three bucks.

I used to just eat it raw too.....

I do eat ramen these days, but I prefer the higher end stuff. I used to live next to a couple of asian stores and one had an entire isle of ramen. (and live frogs, turtles, quarts of blood, assorted intestines and other crazy sh*t) Before I lived next to that place, I had no idea that there was quality ramen.

I also like to add an egg and some green onions. Usually I just eat it plain. well, with hot sauce....

I add egg to mine too, but only half of the powder mix (to reduce the salt intake).

I also add sliced garlic.

I will also add some hot sauce for flavor, but not the vinegary type from the south. I'm not into vinegary BBQ sauce.

I was born in Hawaii. I use ramen as a base to make a close approximation to Saimin. It's not quite the same and you can't really get Saimin on the mainland, but it's as close as I can get to the real thing.

When I really fancy up the soup, I will add sliced garlic into the water from the beginning and then a dose of frozen "stir fry" veges right at the end.

A perrennial favorite though is sliced garlic and ginger and at the end add some frozen corn and peas, Rooster sauce and some sesame seeds, black pepper and granulated garlic.

When I eat ramen I usually add an egg, hot sauce, and whatever spiced I can find. It makes a hell of a mess. I know because I usually spill it. :drunk:

Seems that everyone makes it with egg. Sounds good, I have never done that before.

I usually add half the spice packet (chili most of the time - neon green package) then make some bastardized nuoc nam: fish sauce, sugar, soy, sambal, lime pulp.

chop up a chicken breast and cook it in fresh garlic, olive oil, a little rosemary, and some white wine.

cook ramen in microwave (chicken flavor)

drain out almost all of the water from the ramen, and then add spice packet

dump chicken and olive oil/wine sauce into noodles and stir

11014_sriracha_sauce_lg.jpg

The Sriracha sauce is soooooo good in it. Adds spice and flavor in ways I can't explain.

I know there are literally dozens of kinds of poultry sauce (they ALL have a chicken or rooster on them), that sweet hot chili stuff, usually thai, but is this sauce the same as those? Or is this more a chili/tomato type?

We use the poultry sauce on spring rolls. We do spring roll parties once or twice a year and have several people split the cost, cutting/chopping and rolling. Usually 300-400. I get to fry and drink.:D

Never tried egg or hotsauce, but I will now.

Buy a bag of Broccolli Slaw, 2 packets of Oriental flavor ramen.

Break up the ramen, toast it in the oven till brown.

Mix with broccoli slaw.

For the dressing, mix 1/2 Cup of apple cider vinager, the 2 seasoning packets from the ramen, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Mix till sugar and seasoning is dissolved and pour over broccoli slaw/ramen mixture.

Enjoy!

The Rooster Sauce isn't sweet. It is a pepper sauce that is just peppers, garlic, vinegar and salt. It is delicious. There are a thousand different styles according to which town you are from. The rooster sauce is made in California and I would say is Vietnamese.

From the parent site of the sauce:

Sriracha is made from sun ripen chilies which are ground into a smooth paste along with garlic and packaged in a convenient squeeze bottle. It is excellent in soups, sauces, pastas, pizzas, hot dogs, hamburgers, chowmein or on anything else to give it a delicious, spicy taste. Like all our sauces, we use only the highest quality ingredients and never any artificial colors or flavorings.

I use it for everything they say. In fact tonight I am going to make some wings with this as a coating. Should be tasty.

Nothin' but the kimchi in my ramen along with the spice pack. Once in a blue moon I'll put an egg in the boiling broth too but not very often. When I was a marine in Korea in the mid eighties, we would trade our MREs for a bowl of kimchi and ramen, a moon pie, and an orange fanta. Sometimes you could get a bottle of soju in the deal also. If you had enough MREs you could get the farmer's daughter.

Boil 2 packets of Ramen noodles & 1lb frozen veggies (broccoli/carrots/cualiflower mix) drain all but about 1/2 cup of water. Add 3 tablespoons butter, 1-2 tablespoon(s) madras hot curry powder, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 small can crushed pineapple. I save the flavour packet to use with something else. A can of tiny shrimp goes very well with this, but is optional. Enjoy! Regards, GF.

I do 2 packs of noodles to one pack of seasoning. Season additionally with Chile Seasame Oil and Soy sauce.

When you posted this thread, I was backpacking in the trinity wilderness. Ramen was one of my meals. After boiling the noodles, I added freeze dried peas and corn, and a packet of miso soup. I have to ditch the included packet, MSG is one of my migraine triggers.

Anyway, super tasty, light, and easy - perfect trail food. (Although the substantial supply of homemade beef jerky I brought might edge out just ahead). Sadly though, I didn't think to bring a small ziplock or something of Sriracha. Another sauce I love is Sambal Oelek (sp?) Basically just a sweet/hot red pepper sauce. Goes awesome on stir fry or potstickers, and tastes very similar to the homemade stuff the turkish bistro in town serves.

Every now and then when I am feeling interesting, I make a quick stir fry by boiling the noodles and then straining and rinsing with cold water. Then you sautee some vege's, maybe some thinly sliced meat of choice and then flavor it up with whatever you like. Toss the noddles in a pan and quickly warm and kinda saute them up and onto a plate. It is the perfect noodle stir fry in like 15 minutes.

Try it with a tj mama and some nacho cheese.Top with crumbled chips or with tuna and mayo.

I would never be so general as to list "cock sauce" as an ingredient for something "I" would eat.

However, if my wife wants me to indulge her with a little I would most definitely oblige her.

I make mine with about half the water and than lay a slice of processed cheese over the top
Oh and some ground red pepper for a lil heat

-Jason

Back