Camping and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My plan is to get a brew in during our 4th of July camping trip. We have a 25' RV and we are not taking the dogs along this time, so I should have plenty of room for a bunch of brewing stuff. My father-in-law might be interested in it. Of course I would only brew if I got bored, like if we can't go fishing or whatever, but I anticipate the process will happen.

We should have good source of cleaning/cooling water, and ample space to do it in. Picnic table etc. for working space.

Can you think of any reason this would not be easy, or maybe offer a recipe suggestion?

A while back I saw a post on northern brewer, where a guy brewed while camping, fire for heating, and stream for cooling.

I can't think of any real problems. Precrush your grains, throw the hops/yeast on ice. Make sure you are aware of your grain temp before you mash in, if it's resting at 90 degrees you will heat your strike water less than if it were at room temp.

Other than that I'm not thinking of much that would be different. Try not to let any river water splash into the cooling wort to avoid contamination.

Sounds totally awesome though. I might have to try that this summer.

My only concern would be moving it back home while active fermentation is going on. Maybe brew on the last day or two of the trip and wait until you get it home to pitch?

Well, it's something to do.

The only real drawback is that it has been hot as hell.

I did my brewing before the camping trip last week, and just enjoyed the results while out there.

I think that sounds like an interesting idea, especially if your considering using a campfire for the boil and a stream for cooling, like wormfishin mentioned.

Maybe consider a smaller batch size?

It's an RV trip. No river water or campfire boiling. I guess it's pretty much the same as doing it at home, except it gives me something fun to do while we are "camping".

I didn't think about the temp issue. Even if it's not hot, it's probably too hot. We are at low 60's today, but should rise again by weekend. Saying 70 on Thursday and 80 by weekend. I guess I better bring the swamp cooler!

Not worried about the ride home. It can slosh around a bit with no problems.

Funny stuff. I'm at the store with the wife, picking up some food for the camping trip, and she mentions that she might like to have some coffee on the trip, so I say I got some coffee singles already, no need to bring anything extraneous.

She mumbles, "Brewing apparatus??"

I laughed out loud. I'm glad she was saying it in a teasing kind of way. I think she thinks it's neat that I am having so much fun with this hobby.

I live and brew in my RV, and talking about brewing taking over, I ended up renting a cooled storage space just to accommodate my brewing habit!

Well, the brewing went well. I brewed an AG batch in about 4 hours. The advertised wifi sucks, but my phone browser allowed me to download the recipe that was supposed to be on my laptop.

I got cleaned up just in time to sit down to a steak dinner. Now I'm sitting in Whitehall, waiting for the fireworks to start.
I'm really hoping it doesn't get too warm tommorrow. Temp control is the one thing I did not plan for.

Another batch of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, except I didn't have any Centennial, so I had to go with Cascade. It was a good choice considering the ingredients I had on hand.

I drained the pre-heat water into a bucket, and a dragonfly flew into the bucket for some stupid reason. I guess I'll have to call this batch Dragonfly Blonde or something.

I went camping this weekend on a friends land and all I could think about was using their spring fed creek to brew or make some mead.

Back