Shift work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Does anyone here work shift work or am I the only one? I just need some comfort in the fact that I am not the only guy who has to work every other weekend or on chirstmas eve, xmas night and the day after.

I'm there with ya on all the major holidays and nights and evenings and all other odd ass times of the day.... WOOHOO Holiday and shift differential pay!

I dont think I get holiday diff (they just give you extra hours to your vacation). My shift diff is pretty good though at 12%

I used to work rotating shifts on my last shore duty for two years. It sucked balls.

No McK... Shore Duty rocks even if you're standing on your head in 4 feet of dookie. Its sea duty that sucks. sea duty=CONSTANT shift work

No McK... Shore Duty rocks even if you're standing on your head in 4 feet of dookie. Its sea duty that sucks. sea duty=CONSTANT shift work

You would think, but I left early to go back to sea. Seriously, it blew.

Dedicated to the OP. Even if you hate Country, the chicks are hot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJDF9uyDWH4]YouTube - Kenny Chesney;Kenny Chesney Duet with George Strait - Shiftwork[/ame]

I will have to agree in the fact that sea duty blows. I just got out of the navy after 6 long years of sea duty. I was in Souda Bay a few months ago talking to this security guy and he was telling me how much he hated it. He had never been on a ship and had no idea how good he had it it. Fast internet, beer, and a real bed make all the difference.

Yep, shiftworker here. I work a rotating schedule with one weekend off a month and my shift changes weekly--days, swings and graveyards. The schedule sucks, but that's why they compensate us nicely. I can't wait till I'm done with school and get that nice daywork, monday-through friday job, though. :D

Wow what a great thread. I work 3p-3a and I sometimes work 7p-7a. I work every 3rd weekend and I have to work some holidays. I work in the ER in one of Bostons hospitals.

I'm here every goddamn night, with monday and tuesday mornings as my 'weekend'. I hate it so very very much.

Well I feel better. There is no way I would do this crap if they were not paying me as good as they are. I work 12 hour shift and I have to admit, its nice only having to work 3 days before a few days off.

I don't do much shift work any more, but early in my career as a paramedic and respiratory therapist, I did. The worst? Working 7a-7p on Christmas Day when you have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. I missed Santa, etc, for several years. I worked every other holiday and every other weekend, and many nights.

Finally, when my daughter started first grade and I was on a 3-11p shift, I had enough. (I NEVER saw her except for 1/2 hour in the morning). I went to office work at the hospital and made far less money. Now, I'm a part-time day time person, with on a few evening shifts of my choice. It's a lot less money, but my family needed me. Now, that daughter is in college, and I never regretted giving up the money.

Latest posts

Back