Not Thinking - Racked Weis Beer to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricS

Reaction score
Last weekend I wasn't thinking (to excited about brewing again) and racked my Weis beer into the Secondary. It is looking awfully clear in the carboy. Should I just wait another week (1.2.3 rule) before I bottle or should I get it into bottles right away to hopefully stop the clearing?

i'm not certain on this, but my second brew was a wheat beer, and after just two weeks in the primary, it turned out pretty clear. what i'm trying to say is that it will probably clear anyhow. AFAIK the cloudiness is only in hefeweizen and is yeast floating in suspension in the beer. not sure how to reproduce that in home brew!

Well, if you bottle it makes sense to go right out of primary so you get some yeast in there. When you pour a wheat, you leave a bit in the bottle, swirl, then complete the pour. If you keg like I do, it's inevitable... it's going to clear given enough time. I'm NOT swirling 5 gallons of beer.

Don't have the recipe on me, but I think it was Wyeast 3056 - Bavarian Wheat™ .

it's gonna clear eventually in the bottle. just do as bobby m said, swirl the last few swigs in the bottle and pour into the glass.

Do you affect the flavor of a hefeweizen if you clear it?

I'm interested in doing a clear hefeweizen.

NitrouStang96 said:
Do you affect the flavor of a hefeweizen if you clear it?

I'm interested in doing a clear hefeweizen.
I always make clear hefeweizen as that was what I drank alot of over in Germany.

And do you do that by just making it like you make an ale? Let everything settle in primary and clear some more in secondary?

i had a hefeweizen i was making for a big party and i didn't want to people to shy away from a "cloudy" beer. I added irish moss and used a secondary, then i aged it for a while in the keg as well. it came out nice and crisp and relatively clear...it was mighty, MIGHTY tasty too...quite the hit at the party :mug:

You know what then, I am not even going to worry. I will just let it go about its business. So what if it is clear, as long as it tastes good.

EricS said:
You know what then, I am not even going to worry. I will just let it go about its business. So what if it is clear, as long as it tastes good.

Thats the spirit. :mug:

DeathBrewer said:
i had a hefeweizen i was making for a big party and i didn't want to people to shy away from a "cloudy" beer. I added irish moss and used a secondary, then i aged it for a while in the keg as well. it came out nice and crisp and relatively clear...it was mighty, MIGHTY tasty too...quite the hit at the party :mug:
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing.

THANKS!

(sorry for the mini hijack)

Back