Correct way to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hello all, I was looking for the proper way to put c02 to the cornellious kegs. What i did is apply about 30 psi for the last 4-5 days and shook the keg for the first 2 minutes then i have not touched it. The pressure is still applied to the keg.

Iv read that after applying pressure you should bleed the pressure valve every few minutes for about 5 minutes then you should unhook the co2?
i don't wasn't my beer full of foam and no beer. So what should i have done and what should i do now? Also what is the psi it should be at for serving? THank you.

I

I get the keg to serving temp. Then I hit it with 30 psi for 24 hours. Then I drop it to serving psi and let itty sit a couple of days.

This is the quick and dirty way. They better will be drinkable...but will taste better in a couple of weeks.

You can also just put it on your serving psi and it will can in three weeks.

What temperature did you do this at? If it was chilLed you are over-carbed. If it was room temp you might be Ok, but 4-5 days at 30psi is a long time. If you are over-carb'd you need to release pressure a few times per day to slowly purge the excess CO2. It will take some time.

I usually do 30psi for 24 hours at room temp. Cool. Hook up to CO2 at serving pressure for 1 week.

4-5 days at 30 will probably have you waaaay over carbed.

When I'm in a hurry I go 30 psi for about 24-36 hours at about 35 degrees. Otherwise it 12 psi set and forget.

I learned through trial and error...

You better purge and set it at serving pressure, and temperature. 4-5 days at 30psi is WAY more than anyone would ever recommend. You're probably already seriously over-carbonated (unless the keg is at over 65F).

Use this chart to set the pressure, at serving temperature, and leave it that way for 2-3 weeks before pulling a pint.

Back