first rhizomes ordered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdog

Reaction score
Well I have taken the plunge....I ordered cascade and willamette hop rhizomes. I'm a little nervous cause I have neve grown a plant before. My research says it isn't that difficult. Just requires attention. I got the perfect back yard spot. VERY sunny and gets a verry good breeze. I have a 2 foot deep flower pot I will be planting in.

Can anyone diret me to starter tips or offer your experience?

Got them in the mail yesterday and promptly put them in a pot with some readily available manure provided by my dogs. Water in morning and at night just waiting now.

2012-04-14_20-15-26_187-2.jpg

Can you see it????? My first sprouting of cascade hops!! I am sooo excited!

First off I hope your joking about using your dog’s waste? K9 waste can harbor pathogens that can be harmful to humans. If you’ve done this please remove the rhizome carefully and repot not using dog waste. Also pull back on the watering depending on weather to one good deep soak per week maybe two if really dry.

I was never aware you could just take sh** and grow something with it...I've only used composted manure in my gardens...

2012-05-11_17-27-19_86.jpg

This is my hillbilly rig of a "line to grow on", they are getting so big. Unfurtunatly my son snipped the top of one of my cascade bines. Should I let it continue or remove it?

How long does that usually take? I got some late sprouts.....should I let them take off or should I snuff them out? BTW,, I only have one Cascade bine with original top and no Willimette with their tops. I do have one late sprout of each. Do I just let it all go?

Well.....it has started to recover. I got new growing tips at every node below the break. I only need a couple, right? So i snipped some of them. Gonna treat it like first sprouts and keep the strongest, There are 3 remaining on each of the damaged bines.

I think I killed them. I took the spent grain from my last batch and pout it around my plants. Very soon after they turned brown. I'm afraid I killed them. I removed the grain asap and one plant resprouted, the cascad shows no activity..........thoughts????? Did I kill them?

They'd do much better if they were in the ground and are probably cramped in those small pots. If you mulched them very recently it could just be the weather that caused the browning as we've had some cold nights lately. One way to check the crown's health is to follow the vines back down into the soil and lightly brush it away. You should see some little 'buds' formed where the vine comes off of the crown and these will be the first ones that'll shoot up next Spring.

my first year is also turning brown. i just assumed its because of the cold, and will probably be cut down fairly soon.

Back