Conical Fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffyBros

@DuffyBeers
Reaction score
Anyone have and experience with conical fermentors? I've been looking at the Blichmann (very expensive) and Chinese made steel fermentors. I've read good and bad reviews about the Chinese ones. Also there's plastic conicals that are much cheaper. Any thoughts on quality, price, manufactures, steel, plastic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Duffy

I have the plastic Mini-Brew 6.5gal and it's OK. I think if I harvested yeast regularly, I would be far more pleased. As it is, I find that seating the rubber gasket when sealing the lid to be a real pain. It is easier to clean than just about any fermenter I own, however. And it's simple as heck to draw a sample for testing during fermentation.

I got it off of craigslist for ~$125 or so, making it equivalent in cost to 5 6-gal plastic bucket fermenters. I definitely haven't gotten my money's worth yet, in my opinion...

I have the plastic Mini-Brew 6.5gal and it's OK. I think if I harvested yeast regularly, I would be far more pleased. As it is, I find that seating the rubber gasket when sealing the lid to be a real pain. It is easier to clean than just about any fermenter I own, however. And it's simple as heck to draw a sample for testing during fermentation.

I got it off of craigslist for ~$125 or so, making it equivalent in cost to 5 6-gal plastic bucket fermenters. I definitely haven't gotten my money's worth yet, in my opinion...

You need to brew more buddy!

Truth!

(I've got 6gals of a modified 70's homebrew recipe in there right now, which is bubbling away furiously, so the conical is not lying fallow, but I need to be using it all the time to justify the expense!)

Back