Moroccan Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the question is, do I need to go find one or just jump in and make my own.

Corriander
Ginger
Saffron?????

Others?

I have many spices that I have fetched back from the great and old medinas of Marrakesh and villages of the Atlas.
Based on a Porter I think.
What to do about hops?

2670968-Moroccan_market_impressions-Morocco.jpg

The recipe for Morocco Ale is believed to date from Elizabethan times. It was named 'Morocco' by Colonel James Grahme of Levens when he was a courtier of Charles II ~ The Queen had brought Tangiers as part of her dowry and Grahme may have associated the Dark Moorish people of that land with the smooth, dark coloured ale of Levens ~ Legend has it that the secret recipe was buried in the garden, under the evergreens, during the Civil War ~ Every May time until 1877 the unique spiced Morocco Ale, matured for 21 years, was always served at a great feast held in the Gardens at Levens ~ New guests were required to stand on one leg and empty, in a single draught, a tall Constable glass filled with 'Morocco' whilst pledging to the ancient house... "Luck to Levens whilst t'Kent flows" ~

An award winning ale that’s great with food! Strong, dark spiced and mysterious. Rich and warm coppery colour. An ideal dinner beer - especially with red meat dishes. Stronger than your average ale.

ABV 5.5%

Drinking Morocco Ale

Imagine the body of a fine red wine with spicy overtones, mellow autumn evenings and wholesome, traditional British food; imagine too, a flavoursome ale that’s great to drink at any time.

I think your next 00 Orfy mission should take you to Morocco :p

Sounds like a great project!

Beer in Morocco is crap/not existent. It's a Muslim country.

I drink whiskey and coke when I'm there. I can get food and shelter for 2 nights with one bottle of whiskey and I get to drink it as well.

3 Nights if I don't drink it.

Bah Humbug said:
Beer in Morocco is crap/not existent. It's a Muslim country.

It's been 18 years since I last visited Morocco, but that two week trip may have been the longest I went without an alcoholic beverage since I could legally drink.

They've got plenty of syrupy-sweet mint tea though!

Interesting, orf. Hops, hmmm. Well I suppose that would depend on what you want to get going in there. I think something like Tettnanger, Fuggles or EKG would probably be a good choice in general when you are going off the wall with stuff.

How bout some Cardamom? OOh hey, how bout an Ale with mint, tea and honey :D, although that has nothing to do really with your quote there :p.

After looking at the description a little more, prolly some biscuit, heavy on the crystal, ~15 IBU, medium carbonation, mash high. Ginger, Cinnamon, Coriander, Cardamom, Peels, etc. All are good candidates. Actually it sounds more like an intriguing winter warmer ale to me :).

Hey orfy - I apologize for creating a zombie but I am formulating a moroccan winter ale and was wondering if you ever made the ale in this (now zombified) thread?? i am debating between working with the savory or the sweet mother spice blends. thanks!!

Back