Campden vs. Mold Spores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopwater

Reaction score
I have been picking raspberries for the last few weeks to get enough for a 5 gal batch of wine. When picking them I see that there are other raspberries on the bushes that are moldy. So I am picking nice fresh ripe berries from a plants that also have moldy berries on them.

I would imagine that over the thousands of berries I have picked, there have to be some that would have picked up a bit of the mold spores. I mean sometimes when you move a branch of the plant you will see a dust coming off the few moldy berries. So it stands to reason that even though I have rinsed them, there will be small amounts of mold/spores/dust on some of the berries that I have frozen to make wine out of.

Will campden tabs take care of this potential problem? Should I pasteurize the berries?

I have read about other folks making wine and it comes out tasting like mold. I want to avoid that.

Alrighty then...thanks for the input. I threw it together tonite and it looked, smelled, and tasted great. Gravity @ 1.11 to start....a little bit high, but maybe that's a good thing. I crushed 6 camp tabs cause it was closer to 6 gallons.

Hope this works...

Cheers!

Back