I need to make a beer that will be ready in 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am under the gun to make a beer for a friends birthday in 3 weeks, well 4 because it needs to be ready by 4/2. I am going to make it Sunday. Any tried and true ideas?

I have just been reading over Brandon o's gaff. It's supposed to be awesome in 3-4 weeks. Only catch is it's a cider with a little malt and hops in it.

Cream of 3 Crops. Search it on this forum.

I did 3 weeks primary, 5 days secondary with gelatin, and was drinking from the keg 3 days later. Beer is tasty for all levels of beer drinkers and clears up nicely.

You could probably cut the primary fermentation down to 2 weeks. I just do 3 weeks as a rule of thumb....

Can you keg it? If you've got a keg setup you can do a lot of things in 3 weeks with force carbing; 2 weeks of fermentation plus a few days to crash cool. More or less any light-colored beer, an amber or IPA or cream ale or whatever. Personally, I make something like cream of 3 crops but use rye malt instead of rice. But that's just me.

Can you keg it? If you've got a keg setup you can do a lot of things in 3 weeks with force carbing; 2 weeks of fermentation plus a few days to crash cool.

This is the issue. If you can keg and force carb you can a bunch of different ales. They are not going to taste as good as you might want them to be still being green. Hefes are the way to go for quick turn arounds.

Most Brown Ales are pretty forgiving, so you can usually ferment for 7-10 days, then bottle condition if you can't keg. Like the others have said, kegging will open up a lot of other options.

I am takeing a keg of ed worts bee cave ale to a party tonight. 14 days in the primary, and i kegged, filtered, and forced carbed last sunday. i tried a glass last night, and it was pretty good, and well carbed. 20 days total

Along the wheat idea, look at Belgian Wits. They are done quick and I understand are made to drink young.

A mild will have less alcohol, more flavor and low carbonation. It'llalso be darker. BMC'ers will have a lot to adjust to.

A Wit will have similar carbonation and alcohol levels and be 'pale'. But it will be fruity with a bit heavier mouthfeel.

Dark beer, while it benefits most from aging (typically) is also the least susceptible to being "green".

BMC crowd?.........They probably like guinness then.

Back