Can you go from brew to drinkable for a hefeweizen in 18 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy

Reaction score
My son's first birthday is in less than 3 weeks (party is March 5th). This is kind of last minute, but could I brew an extract batch of Hefeweizen and have it drinkable by March 5th?

Along with force carb I suggest a yeast cake and an oxygen stone. Then you will have plenty of time.

Sure. 11 days in primary then bottle condition for seven days. I did a hefe recently and did 2 weeks primary and tried one at only 5 days in. I won't get into why I tried one so early but there's a reason. I was surprised how carbed up it was, pretty much like a typical beer. It was very drinkable and tasted great.

Rev.

I did a 1 week primary 1 week in a bottle and it was a little flat but still very very tasty. Had some barebones carbination but very drinkable.

I tested a bottle of APA after 5 days in bottle recently and it had serious off flavor, specifically Diacetyl. From now on it is 2 weeks in teh bottle minimum or kegged and forced carbed for me.

I just think the bottle carbonation is a crap shoot, and maybe it will be ready but maybe it won't. How disappointed will your son be if he has no beer on his birthday?

My son's first birthday is in less than 3 weeks (party is March 5th). This is kind of last minute, but could I brew an extract batch of Hefeweizen and have it drinkable by March 5th?

As mentioned, if you can keg, then it's no sweat. If you have to bottle, you can probably make it but have a backup plan. A hefe is just about the only thing I'd even attempt this turnaround with.

Brew today. Primary 7 days (check FG on day 5 and day 7 to make sure it's stabilized). Bottle and make sure it's in 70F+ conditions (75-80 preferred). You will probably be okay, and young hefes are plenty tasty. I've done it successfully a couple of times in <3 weeks with Wyeast 3638, FWIW. You don't have time to make a starter so pitch 2 smack packs.

I just think the bottle carbonation is a crap shoot, and maybe it will be ready but maybe it won't. How disappointed will your son be if he has no beer on his birthday?

Unless the OP made a typo, I would assume his son won't care if he has any beer on his birthday, as he will be too young to remember it. ;)

If, on the other hand, he meant to type twenty-first birthday, then we might have a different answer. I'm assuming, however, this is a beer for dad to enjoy in celebration of his son's birthday.

I think its going to be too close to try and get it done beforehand. Thanks for the advice, I'm still planning a hefeweizen soon, but I won't rush it.

Back