Spent Grain Beer Bread Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just posted an recipe on my blog for the Spent Grain Beer Bread I made over the weekend. It was incredible! Check it out if you are interested.

http://beerreviewdude.com/beer-recipes/spent-grain-beer-bread-recipe/

Spent-Grain-Beer-Bread-500x373.jpg

Did adding the spent grains affect the texture of the bread at all? I've never used spent grains in cooking before.

Did adding the spent grains affect the texture of the bread at all? I've never used spent grains in cooking before.

It was such a small amount that all it did was add some great texture to the bread. Also, there was a light roasty character from the roasted malts. Truly delicious, served it with beer brats and beer marinated chicken.

:mug:

It was such a small amount that all it did was add some great texture to the bread. Also, there was a light roasty character from the roasted malts. Truly delicious, served it with beer brats and beer marinated chicken.

:mug:

Sounds good, next time I brew I'll have to save some of the spent graints. What kind of beer were the grains leftover from?

when you ask for a lager could be any lager? and you say grains must be in the freezer until im ready to use them, but my spent grains will be wet....do i use this still wet?

when you ask for a lager could be any lager? and you say grains must be in the freezer until im ready to use them, but my spent grains will be wet....do i use this still wet?

Any light lager will do. My catalyst for brewing this was trying to empty the Coors Light Home Draft system so I can use it for kegging.

You can definitely still use the grains when they are wet. I froze them because I couldn't use them immediately.

Made this again this weekend. Damn tasty. Used some of the spent grain from the Rye Pale Ale I have in primary, worked very well.

did you notice any difference between using grain from a RyePA vs the oatmeal stout or is the grain amount too minimal?

There was definitely a difference. I got quite a bit more of a roasty character with the Oatmeal Stout's grains.

I also cooked the first batch a little longer than I should have, and the bottom of the loaf ended up almost black, so that could have accounted for the more roasted character in the first one. It was still awesome though.

Let me know if you try it. It's so easy, I would highly recommend it. Also, the bread stayed moist for ~5 days after I made it. I think the dense texture of the bread helped with that. The bread was perfect with steak, especially something with a sauce.

Back