Grain Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
My local home brew shop has recently been sold to some knuckle head. The other day I went in there to purchase an extract kit to refine my kegging technique with.... there was a lady there that had no idea what all grain brewing was, and asked me if it was hard. I'm assuming she doesn't know how to crush grains....and the guy that now owns it seemed like an air-head who got suckered into buying the shop. I no longer want to use them.

I have heard that buying precrushed grains online can throw you off because the crush isn't the best. I've experienced this with a company before. I was wondering if anybody knew a reputable homebrew shop from online that will send quality crushed grains. Thanks in advance...:ban:

I recently got into all grain myself, and did a batch from my LHBS, Austin Homebrew, and Brewmasters Warehouse. My efficiency with LHBS and AHS were both sub 75% (mid 60s) but the couple I did from BMW are all 75%+ (highest was 80%). Needless to say... BMW is my supplier for grain now primarily!

I just bought a corona mill for 28 dollars online and am itching to try it. If that's your thing, you can search for victoria mill on ebay to find it. That way you can buy grain in bulk and get some consistency.

Back to your post: I have tried midwest, but not for all grain. If it helps, their grain crush for my steeping grains looked nothing like the crush I got recently for my base malts at my LHBS.

+1 for crushing your own grain. Get a mill. Never wonder about it again.

+1 it's great to have a mill...and makes buying bulk a piece of cake.

i'm getting consistently 80% efficiency with a $15 pasta roller form michael's craft store.... just took it a part and grooved the stainless rollers w/ an X patter using an angle grinder cut off blade.... or there's the barley crusher route.. but i'm a cheap-o DIY kind of guy.

+1 to buying a Barley Crusher. You will never look back. Just make sure you have a power drill to grind with. Manually grinding 14lbs of grain is not fun.

Corona style mill, $20
Garage sale motor $5
Rest of crap lying around in the garage $0

Ugliness and utility, priceless! :)

mill7.jpg

+1 it's great to have a mill...and makes buying bulk a piece of cake.

i'm getting consistently 80% efficiency with a $15 pasta roller form michael's craft store.... just took it a part and grooved the stainless rollers w/ an X patter using an angle grinder cut off blade.... or there's the barley crusher route.. but i'm a cheap-o DIY kind of guy.

+1 this.

I believe this is the thread... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/index2.html

I plan to construct one soon. I unfortunately need to spend money+time wisely and my LHBS does have an adjustable, hand crank mill. Since, I do not have the time to tinker with the "pasta mill" at the moment I will have one someday as cranking 40# of grain through that grind er was the suck!

best of luck from a guy with a super sore shoulder...

+1 to buying a Barley Crusher. You will never look back. Just make sure you have a power drill to grind with. Manually grinding 14lbs of grain is not fun.

+1 i found out the hard way that a cordless drill just would not cut it.. boy my arms hurt

Back