I need a scale recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a digital scale for weighing hops and grains, so I would ultimately like to have something that will give me measurements in .1 ounce increments (.05 would be even better). I have looked around at the stuff at the online HBS and was curious if anyone here had any experience or recommendations of something they are extremely happy with...

I have an Escali scale I got for $25 at my LHBS. Goes down to .05oz. and also does lb/oz. and grams. It looks like this, only blue:
category3.gif

I bought this scale the other week and am quite pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this scale the other week and am quite pleased.

I have this same scale (the Ultraship). I've been very happy with it

Edit: I just noticed on the amazon link that it doesn't include the Ac adapter. I bought mine from Ebay and it came with the adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys have about any kind of scale you could imagine:

American Weigh Scales - Digital Scales Wholesale

I would suggest getting two scales. A high capacity one for grain and a lower capacity one with more precision for hops and such. Scales that can handle 10 or 15 lbs likely won't be very accurate in the fractions of an ounce range. At least that has been my experience and the reason I have two digital scales.

I've had great enjoyment in using my ProScale 600 Luxe for hops measurements.
Capacity: 600 grams
Accuracy: 0.1gram
Reads in Grams, Ounces, Grains & Pennyweight.
On ebay a "buy it now" for $13 plus $3 or $4 shipping.

For grains a 35# capacity WeightMax, weigh in 0.1oz/5g
units in kg, g, lb, and oz.
Auto off 180 seconds, power 9 volt battery or the 9VDC power cube.
Again a ebay item "buy it now" app $17 plus $5.50 shipping.
One scale alone can not do large grain measurements and be accurate enough for your hops weighs is
my opinion hence purchasing two scales.

I have an Escali scale I got for $25 at my LHBS. Goes down to .05oz. and also does lb/oz. and grams. It looks like this, only blue:
category3.gif

Overall, I think I like this one. I did find this one at several online shops and I think I saw it on Ebay for $25 also. I think this one might be a good general purpose scale for grains and hops. I'm gonna go to Walmart tonight and see what they have available before I order one. I'd really like to have a scale in my hands by next Friday...

I would recommend two scales. One for heavy loads (grain bill) and one for light loads like a little 16oz scale. You can get a 16 oz scale that is quite accurate at bed bath and beyond for $6, pretty killer. As for a heavy load scale its all about money and how much you want to spend. For a while I just used my scale from my closet, put a bucket on it, zeroed it, close enough. Then i got one from harbor freight, super cheap and a little more accurate. Just make sure it does .25 lb measurements, the lower the better, but you really want resolution at least to the 1/4 lb.

For stuff like hops & general cooking, I use a Terraillon Model 907 we liberated from my uncle's house after he passed away in '97. I don't know how long it worked for him, but it's been working flawlessly since, with maybe 2 sets of new batteries. Sure hope it never goes out.

As has been mentioned in this thread, for these types of scales, the load cell is designed to handle maybe 7-11 pounds. Don't even think about putting anything way above the spec on there, because you can destroy the load cell = new scale.

For heavy stuff, I just use our digital bathroom scale, which is quite accurate. Grain bill = in bucket, then weigh (or already know) the bucket to arrive at the tare, then subtract. Also handy for weighing propane canisters so you don't have flameout 30 minutes into a boil with no spare. I use about 2 lbs for a 5 gal. brew session (I preheat some water indoors, because propane is cheaper that way), and as long as I'm aware of my tare weight (standard 20 lb. propane cylinders typically run 16.5 - 17.5 lbs, the tare weight is stamped on the handle) it's simple.

I have what I think is a Taylor branded version of the Escali scale mentioned above. I got it from Meijer for, I think, $24. Works very well.

Overall, I think I like this one. I did find this one at several online shops and I think I saw it on Ebay for $25 also. I think this one might be a good general purpose scale for grains and hops. I'm gonna go to Walmart tonight and see what they have available before I order one. I'd really like to have a scale in my hands by next Friday...

One scale was delivered in 2 days the other in 3 days from time of ordering.
They both arrived long before I was ready to brew. Plan far ahead before brew day
as Murphy will be watching.

Latest posts

Back