Help! I rehydrated and added nutrient in the water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hightest said:
Other than plain water, nothing should be used in the rehydration of dry yeast. Yet, there is one exception, and that is a product known as Go-Ferm, or its equivalent - Startup.

As you are getting back into making mead after quite a lenghty absence, I would suggest you read the forum's mead FAQs. They should help to guide you, and perhaps share newer concepts and advances that have been made in the past decade...

I saw this in another thread and decided I need to post this question. I mistakenly put some yeast nutrient in the hydrating water with the yeasties, thinking it could use that to start doing it's thing while I was waiting for the must to cool and go into the fermenter.

I brewed this on Wednesday and the must got cloudier than when I put it downstairs, but I'm not getting bubbles.

I used 2 packs of Cotes de Blanc.

Could I have screwed this up, or is it likely building up to start bubbling any moment? It is kinda chilly (low 60s) in the basement, so I hoped that was the better temperature than upstairs where it's closer to 70. I didn't want the high rubbing alcohol flavor that I assume (like beer) comes from higher fermentation temps.

I saw this in another thread and decided I need to post this question. I mistakenly put some yeast nutrient in the hydrating water with the yeasties, thinking it could use that to start doing it's thing while I was waiting for the must to cool and go into the fermenter.

I brewed this on Wednesday and the must got cloudier than when I put it downstairs, but I'm not getting bubbles.

I used 2 packs of Cotes de Blanc.

Could I have screwed this up, or is it likely building up to start bubbling any moment? It is kinda chilly (low 60s) in the basement, so I hoped that was the better temperature than upstairs where it's closer to 70. I didn't want the high rubbing alcohol flavor that I assume (like beer) comes from higher fermentation temps.

Im new to this also but from what Ive done and seen so far I think your ok, But to me the temp seems a tad low...Id give it until tommorow and I bet it'll be bubbling away happily...good luck!

:mug:

I saw this in another thread and decided I need to post this question. I mistakenly put some yeast nutrient in the hydrating water with the yeasties...
I see you saved me from having to quote myself... :D

Rather than guessing, I'd suggest that you take a SG reading and compare it to the OG. That way you'll know for certain whether, or not, fermentation is in progress. ;)

What? Meadmakers use hydrometers?

Yeah, I didn't bother. I'll just give it a few weeks, if it still seems high then, I'll think about re-pitching.

Although I do have hydrometers (4), I primarily use a refractometer for determining must SG... ;)

I used to use my finger and went with the age old, "Enough?"..."Not Enough?" Theory...but I decided to go a little bit higher tech. Now I use my girlfriends finger...and its never enough....gotta keep checking.....LOL

:p

Latest posts

Back