Finishing a Saison with Safale 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhcp313

Reaction score
Hi all! Hoping for some experiential perspective.

Though the horrors of Wyeast 3724 are well documented here, I had an outstanding experience with it during the Chicago heatwave this summer, and was able to ferment a Black Pepper and Blossom Honey Saison out with a 1-liter starter from 1.061 to 1.010 on its own between 89-90 F in 21 days.

I loved the results so much that I wanted to brew this again. I wasn't as lucky with ambient temps as Fall approached, and I was only able to ferment between 78 and 80.

I hit the same OG as the first batch (1.061), but after 21 days, I took a reading and am sitting stalled at 1.030. I had a fresh pack of Safale 05 on hand and sprinkled it into the fermenter a few days ago.

Does anyone have any idea how long this will take to finish out from the pitch of Safale to my target 1.010? A week, two?

This is my first time ever using dry yeast, let alone as a finisher.

Thanks in advance, Happy Friday, all.

Rob

i would give it 2 weeks, then take a gravity reading. hopefully that will show that the gravity has dropped.

for future reference, you should consider rehydrating the yeast instead of directly pitching it. this gives the yeast a chance to wake up before being thrown into an inhospitable environment.

be warned that US-05, in these conditions, might not take it down to 1.010. you might need something with more attenuative power, like 3711.

I had exactly the same problem a year ago on a batch of saison. I pitched a small starter of US-05 and it brought it down to 1.008 in about a week.

Thanks for the input. I was missing my starter equipment and impatiently decided to just pitch dry. Good to know for the future. I'll follow up in a week or so to report the results from this little impromptu experiment.

I would have just let it be with a heating pad to get the temp up. I've never had it 100% stall out, usually it just takes time. That being said, your US05 solution should be fine. All of the delicious flavors were created during peak fermentation and I'm sure it will taste great.

jwible204 said:
I would have just let it be with a heating pad to get the temp up. I've never had it 100% stall out, usually it just takes time. That being said, your US05 solution should be fine. All of the delicious flavors were created during peak fermentation and I'm sure it will taste great.

Thanks. I was worried that the 3724 profile would change drastically but it sounds like the 05 will literally just "dry it out" over time while keeping its flavor consistent. (Aside from whatever the difference of flavored are caused by the drastic temp swing, of course).

Just following back up on this.

After pitching the dry Safale 05 straight into the fermentor, it dropped to 1.011 in 10 days while sitting in ambient temp at 76 F. I kegged and tapped this last week and it turned out great. Carbed/served at 13psi, it drank with the dry and prickly mouthfeel I was hoping for, while keeping a lot of the spicy, funky notes of the 3724 intact.

Cheers.

Back