Best way to get the beer clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGreen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I really appreciate the help so far. It is awesome!

I am not the hugest fan of sediment. Not because of the looks as much as the texture. What are the best ways to take care of this?

I have heard a secondary fermentor. Can I use the reservoir True Brew gives for bottling?

How about straining/filtering? I don't have much cash, so buying a filter is not an option. I used cheese cloth and coffee filters once. I also used a fine metal strainer, but the sediment right through. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Should I even care about this at this point in the game? I mean it's my fourth brew. Am I too anal?

Cheers! :mug: :tank:

Are you talking about the sediment in the bottle? If so, and you are bottle conditioning, then those two go hand in hand.

Bottle conditioning means live yeast in the bottle that do the carbonating, and those yeast will form a sediment layer.

Are you talking about the sediment in the bottle? If so, and you are bottle conditioning, then those two go hand in hand.

Bottle conditioning means live yeast in the bottle that do the carbonating, and those yeast will form a sediment layer.

This is the gospel. Bottle conditioning = sediment. You get use to it and I dont really mind it. It a good source of B-vitamins if you drink it and that's what you deplete when you drink so why not drink it!

How long do you ferment your beer?

The first 3 I tried I followed the directions (7-8 days).

After reading through this site I am gonna at least do it 2 weeks, probably 3.

I am not sure if this is a stupid question, but can I open the fermentor to get a reading? I don't see any other way, but then why airlock it if I am gonna open it every week to test?

Yes, I am bottling. If this is the only way to go, then I have no problem with it. Although, the first brew I ever did, about 8 bottles blew the cap off. Any suggestions as to how that happened?

This is the gospel. Bottle conditioning = sediment. You get use to it and I dont really mind it. It a good source of B-vitamins if you drink it and that's what you deplete when you drink so why not drink it!

I do have a Niacin deficiency (Vitamin B3)!

You can open it if you want. I never do. Time makes beer clear. I ferment for a month. If bottling, time in the bottle is also needed as you basically restart the fermentation. Time at room temp creates the Co2 and time in the fridge after that settles the sediment. Done right, you are just a proper pour from having a clear brew.

Yes, I am bottling. If this is the only way to go, then I have no problem with it. Although, the first brew I ever did, about 8 bottles blew the cap off. Any suggestions as to how that happened?

You either added too much priming sugar or bottled a batch that wasn't done fermenting.

Too much priming sugar and or the beer didn’t have time to finish fermenting. 7-8 days is a bit soon. Next batch watch you priming sugar levels and give the beer a good 2-3 weeks to ferment out first. It could also be poor bottle sanitization so I would double up on your sanitization for the next batch.

As for taking the gravity readings I don’t even bother for the first 10-14 days. If you check it at day 14 and its at let’s say 1.016 then I would sample it again about 1-2 days later. If it’s still at 1.016 and that is or is close to my target I feel no need to take anymore readings. I will still let it sit for another week just to clean itself up but I don’t take anymore samples. As long as you sanitize you sample taking equipment taking a sample here and there should be an issue.

As for the airlock its used to keep oxygen and debris/bugs form the outside out. Once the beer starts fermentation it will be protected by a layer of CO2 that has pushed out the oxygen that was in the fermenter so you can carefully open the lid take a sample and put the lid back on and the heavy CO2 will still be covering the beer. You don’t have to use an airlock you can put a big bag over the fermenter and it will balloon up from the CO2. The airlock juts lets the excess gas out without letting air back in like a one way valve. If you just plugged up the hole on the lid and tossed the airlock you would come home to beer on the ceiling and your lid across the room! Done that! :-(

somebody siad time, and they are right.
also, careful racking can help.

give your next batch a minimum of three weeks to ferment. no need to check it until then.

I am not sure if this is a stupid question, but can I open the fermentor to get a reading? I don't see any other way, but then why airlock it if I am gonna open it every week to test?

No airlock and a sealed lid means the lid will blow off, just like your 8 bottle caps did.

Ask a guy who's cleaned cranberry mead off the ceiling of his parent's bathroom about the pressure that builds up in just a few hours of fermentation.

You are turning several pounds of sugar into alcohol and CO2. Co2 has to go somewhere!

Back