Fermentation Chamber Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnHawk8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m having some problems with my fermentation chamber (an upright freezer, about 4.5 feet tall) build. I am using a BCS box to control heating and cooling cycles. The BCS is controlling two 10A SSRs. When I plug the freezer cord into the control box I built, the compressor will cycle on every 30 seconds or so (for about 3 seconds), but not at full power, and then turn back off; repeat. This happens when the process is not on. When I put the BCS in manual mode and turn that outlet/SSR on, the compressor turns on and runs like normal. It’s almost like the SSR is leaking enough power to slightly turn the compressor on every 30 seconds or so. Is that possible?

Also, if I plug a fan into my control box with the process off, the blades move real slow. So it has to be some sort of power leak; I just don’t know how to fix it.

Please help HBT! :confused:

I don't know exactly what a bcs box is, but this sounds exactly like the problem I had when I first set up my temp control box using a CAI WebControl processor as the temp control unit. The logic I wrote to control the outputs was crossed in some way (I forget exactly how) so that it was constantly telling the output to switch on/off/on/off and it seemed like the relay was "leaking." Did you have to create the logic to control the outputs or something similar? If so, I would check that.

I didn't necessarily think this was a BCS problem though as there seems to be a leak with or without the BCS controling the process. Do you think that isn't the case?

I haven't a clue in the world what the issue may be, just offering up another avenue for you to pursue help at.

I don't know exactly what a bcs box is, but this sounds exactly like the problem I had when I first set up my temp control box using a CAI WebControl processor as the temp control unit. The logic I wrote to control the outputs were crossed in some way (I forget exactly how) so that it was constantly telling the output to switch on/off/on/off and it seemed like the relay were "leaking." Did you have to create the logic to control the outputs or something similar? If so, I would check that.

I did, but the catch is that it did this before I even hooked up the BCS to the control side of the SSRs (should have noted this in the first post). At that point I plugged a lamp into the box. I just figured that it was allowing power to flow because the control side wasn't hooked up.

I did, but the catch is that it did this before I even hooked up the BCS to the control side of the SSRs (should have noted this in the first post). At that point I plugged a lamp into the box. I just figured that it was allowing power to flow because the control side wasn't hooked up.

I'm not sure what you're saying, the lamp you used to test your wiring would flicker when it was plugged in to the box, but that was before the control board was connected to the relay?

Back