Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybrew

Reaction score
Hey All,
I bottled my first batch on Wednesday and I haven't seen any bubbling or signs of carbonation thus far. I boiled watter, dissolved the sugar in it, cooled it and added it to my bottling bucket. Anyway I was wondering if this is normal?

Thanks in advance!
~Rusty

You can't "SEE" anything happenning in carbonation/bottle conditioning, except sometimes maybe you'll see bottle krauzens...but most of us just stick our bottles in a dark 70 degree place and leave them alone for the 3 weeks Minimum it take for a beer to be carbed and conditioned...

Read this, it explains why...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

In other words leave them alone.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:D

Thanks Revvy! I assumed everything was going to plan, just wanted some insight! I'm going to start my second batch today!

Have a good one!
~Rusty

I echo everything Revvy said but add that you shouldn't cool the sugar water before adding it to the bottling bucket. The purpose of boiling it for ten minutes before adding it to the bottling bucket is to ensure sanitation. By letting it cool, you're welcoming an opportunity to reintroduce contaminants to your precious brew.

I echo everything Revvy said but add that you shouldn't cool the sugar water before adding it to the bottling bucket. The purpose of boiling it for ten minutes before adding it to the bottling bucket is to ensure sanitation. By letting it cool, you're welcoming an opportunity to reintroduce contaminants to your precious brew.

I disagree.... I quickly cool mine all the time, I plunge the pan in a sink of cold water and leave it for 10 - 15 minutes before, it doesn't take all that long to cool 2 cups of water.

Don't forget you are adding it to finished alcoholat this point so more than likely if anything contaminated the syrup in the short cooling time, the booze would kill that.

You don't want too much of a temp difference between the beer and the yeasties in the beer. If you are dumping boiling sugar water into a bucket, any yeasts that come into contact with it could be killed before the volume of beer cools off the priming solution....

Sure, it's quick to cool two cups of boiling water to pitching temps if using a water bath but it's not necessary as the heat addition of two cups of boiling water to five gallons of fermented beer is negligible and won't result in any significant loss of alcohol or flavor in the finished beer. IMO, it's an unnecessary step that only allows the needless potential for infection as boiling sugar is much less likely to harbor bacteria than cooled sugar regardless of the length of time the sugar is cooled.

dissolving the sugar? I have only bottled twice, went straight to kegging. But I never pre-dissolved the sugar and both my bottled batches came out great. just put the sugar on the bottom of the bottling bucket then racked the beer to it and gave it a quick stir before bottling. I used fine corn sugar though. what type of sugar are you using for bottling?

Back