Overshot my OG ALOT!! Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
Spent yesterday BIAB of LHMS. Kept fighting the wind (blowing out propane burner). While I was cleaning other gear and inventorying other stock SWMBO jumped in to help.This is second batch as I really liked the first batch.

Did a 90 min boil to get down to 5 gal. batch from 6.25 gal. Once done and chilled I took a reading and got 1.094! Whoa - no way is efficiency that good as I typically end up about 73%. Target was 1.065.

Went back over the grain bill, the process etc. Checked reading with 2nd hydrometer and same results. SWMBO noticed my dumb founded look so as we spoke I learned she added 1/2 gal. LME I had on the counter. She "noticed" I had not put it in the kettle like other beer sessions (kits before BIAB). So being helpful she added it to the batch. I am expecting a slow start and long, long fermentation.

My questions are this - :confused:
a) Do I double pitch yeast or wait for stall? No starter just 1 bottle of WLP001

b) How now to add hops to offset sweetness?
Used 0.50 oz Magnum @ 60 min
Used 0.50 oz Goldings @ 10 min

c) Should I split this and top off?

Thanks in advance

I would up the pitch.
You know you have a high gravity and you know it needs more yeast cells to do the job, why risk off flavors by straining the yeast?

As for hops, you need the bittering hops so short of boiling some hops for 60 minutes and adding the water, I'm not sure how you would do it.
Rather than diluting the flavor, I think I would run the risk on the sweet side of things.
You only had 1 oz of hops for 5 gallons of fairly high gravity beer, and only 1/2 ounce was bittering so you were going for sweet, malty anyway.

You could boil the wort for a starter and add hops to that, but making a starter will put a big delay in the addition of yeast so I wouldn't do that unless you can find somewhere very cold to put the wort like in a keezer.
The cold might make the yeast go dormant and you could pull it out and add the starter at that point. Otherwise the extra yeast from doing a starter might not help much since the original pitch would be working and any off flavors from strain may be there already.

As for the splitting and topping off, you will dilute the flavor if you do that.
Higher alcohol or less flavor.

Next time the wife want's to help, you might keep an eye on her!

Just top it off.

That won't help with the yeast.
There is the same amount of fermentables to be converted. If you put the resulting gravity into the software, and added the extra volume, you will still need more yeast.

If you top it off and up the yeast, your alcohol would be where it was intended but the flavor will be weaker.

So I boiled hops with 1 qt of wort, strained, cooled and pitched another vial of yeast 15 min ago (10:30pm EST).
Let's see where this goes!!

It'll be good.
The hops may be more flavor and aroma instead of bittering since you probably didn't do a 60 minute boil, but it will be good.

Hey 45-70 it was a 60 min. boil. PS - 45/70 is what I have asked Santa to bring me :)

Hey 45-70 it was a 60 min. boil. PS - 45/70 is what I have asked Santa to bring me :)

Good request! I've only got two right now and I need at least one more 45-70. I need a BFR 45-70 revolver. Maybe another sharps also, but I would rather get another caliber for another sharps.
I also need a 50-70 trapdoor carbine. They are pretty spendy though. Being about 1873 vintage, plus the carbine was less produced, 50-70 less common than my 45-70, being highly collectible and many of the ones you see are rifles that have been converted.
A adds up to more money.

Your beer will turn out good. Glad you did the full boil and got the bittering.
Flavor and aroma are great but you want to offset the sweet malt flavor.
How much hops did you add?

Maybe since the wife messed up and added the extra extract to your beer, you can make her feel bad enough to buy you that rifle!

That won't help with the yeast.
There is the same amount of fermentables to be converted. If you put the resulting gravity into the software, and added the extra volume, you will still need more yeast.

If you top it off and up the yeast, your alcohol would be where it was intended but the flavor will be weaker.

True, but you will hit your intended OG. I top off all the time when I overshoot with no detrimental effects to the flavor.

So I doubled pitched being new to AG. It is chugging along nicely but I am certain with all that sugar a blow off tube is required.
Will be installed tonight and hoping it does not get crazy today while at work.

This is trucking along - 6 days now and down to 1.042. Fermenting has slowed WAY DOWN but still moving.

FWIW update should anyone be following this thread -

OG 1.092
FG 1.022
ABW: 7.6 %
ABV: 9.5 %

Wow - this is good but one should enjoy SLOWLY . . . Tastes nearly the same as my first batch but this one packs a wallop!
Was saving for my birthday party but since it is New Years Eve I figured I must sample it prior to party.
Two (2) down and feeling it. Pour is from CO2 as I doubt I will invest in Stout faucet and beer gas.
Thanks for the recipe and sometimes serendipity has a way of working out! This will become a house staple!!!
Next test is to do side by side with commercial LHMS.

Wishing y'all a healthy and prosperous New Year in 2013!

My LHMS - mmm mmm good.jpg

Come on down to our party pad in the woods!
Check out Sanderson FL - just a wide spot in the road but door is always open :)

PS - dig the tagline ilikeguns! Makes 2 of us!!!

Back