Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM me for my address if you want to donate. My wife hooked up with some people and is collecting ANYTHING anyone wants to give. Mail IS being delivered so we will get it, and even if it takes a little while, we're going to need it here for MONTHS. Baby stuff is particularly important if you have anything you've been thinking of getting rid of. Our Jeep is full and about to be dropped off. Our goal is to fill it as many times as we can.

Thanks Airborneguy and everyone else out there selflessly helping others. You guys (and gals) are true heroes.

In-laws just got power back here in jersey. Hope everyone's alright here. My house is still without power but I can't complain. The water stopped 4 houses from my parents house on Long Island but so many people weren't as lucky. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help everyone affected by sandy.

I just spent 4 hours throwing out a friend's entire life. It was horrible, but I'm so grateful I was able to help. I slept 4 hours after work today then decided I couldn't take it anymore.

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

In the third picture, you can just barely make out his overturned grill. It was in the backyard. That room is the front office. Don't ask, we couldn't figure it out.

We're on day 5 without power but lucky to have come out of this with our health and house intact. The raritan river surge came within 500' of our door. I spent all night Monday helping people out of the boat the neighbor and I retrieved from his flooded back yard after they were rescued from their rooftops.

Some POS stole a full propane tank out of my yard behind my house on Halloween night when I was in Brooklyn enjoying heat, electricity, and Internet. I've since booby-trapped the yard and am carrying my sidearm and have a bat by the door.

I can't get gas easily so I'm biking around town when I need to go out. Middlesex fire academy is giving out ice and water and they were pretty shocked to see me roll up an get three bags of ice in my backpack. All I had to say was "no gas" and their shock turned to sympathy.

Word from a local utility employee is that a tower line came down that will take another 5-7 days to re-run before they can get to the local lines. I hope that estimate is wrong. I miss my modern conveniences!

I wanted to brew a hurricane blackout black IPA but don't want to deal with trying to crush grain by hand. I don't have a hand crank for the monster mill :(

The red cross needs blood and money. Please donate if you can. Www.redcross.org or, to donate $10, text REDCROSS to 90999.

My work (Monmouth and Middlesex county Head Start preschools) has 6 employees who lost everything (house, cars, clothes, etc.) and we're taking donations for them and our students and their families on our website too. Www.acelero.org

Sorry for the spam, but this is all too real for me right now...

That picture of the Seaside Heights roller coaster in the water is really haunting. Especially when I put together that I used to live in that town, and if I still did, I would have lost everything. Fortunately all my friends in that area are a little further inland and seem to have made out ok.

Just got in line for gas. Luckily costco has about twenty pumps so it should move well. Luckily this is my only inconvenience. Cant complain about this. Thankfully my house is still standing.

Mike, my mom's boyfriend owns the gas station on Richmond right by your parents. According to his suppliers, we should be back to normal by wednesday based on the supplies they have rolling in.

Well unfortunately it looks like my rescue attempt isn't going to work out this time. "Charlie" has a ton of issues, most importantly dental issues which would cost about $2000-3000 to fix. I can't afford that so we're going to give him a few days of rest and relaxation before bringing him to the shelter for his nap.

Update from Pa...most of the power is back on and they just told us we'd have a motel room tonight! Im glad we had a place to lay down but those bunks were killing us....we actually took turns sleeping in the bucket trucks! Excited to be able to get a hot shower....man I can't wait! I'd like to give a shot out to sithdad, he's the cool mfer that picked me up, took me to wegmans to score some good brews and took me back to dorney! We had never talked before...not even on hbt! I hope its getting better in NY/NJ ....I have a feeling I'm headed your way tomorrow...well not NJ but probably NY.

Airborne...the ol lady is getting up a bunch of supplies for your neighborhood.....for your sake I hope it gets there quicker than the pics I asked her to text me ;)

Well unfortunately it looks like my rescue attempt isn't going to work out this time. "Charlie" has a ton of issues, most importantly dental issues which would cost about $2000-3000 to fix. I can't afford that so we're going to give him a few days of rest and relaxation before bringing him to the shelter for his nap.

Something about dogs pulls the heartstrings man.

Airborneguy said:
2beerspeer, if you end up here, let me know. I'm low on homebrew, but there's a bunch of us on the Island.

Come straight to Ackerman st. On Staten Island. Once you turn my power on, you and the boys can enjoy two fresh kegs of Amarillo pale ale.

mikeysab said:
Come straight to Ackerman st. On Staten Island. Once you turn my power on, you and the boys can enjoy two fresh kegs of Amarillo pale ale.

That sounds so Yummy.....we'll probably be headed that way tomorrow. I'm in Allentown Pa now so I'm not too far away! Are any poles left standing? PPL has ran out here and we're hanging wire in trees....

Poles are all up. There was a tree leaning on the wires and con ed said once that tree is off the wires, the power can go back on. Well, they removed the tree and still no power. I have a feeling theres a short somewhere or a bad transformer. My father thinks theres a blown fuse on the HV.

I spent the day today removing transformers from the WTC, where 35 feet of water wiped out all power. Going back in at 11 tonight till 2 30 tomorrow. There was so much water, there was a fish swimming in an unpoured column.

ForumRunner_20121105_183051.jpg

ForumRunner_20121105_183106.jpg

It's easy for those power companies to "forget" things so you might need to stay on their @$$ but the contractors can only do what they are told to by the power co. I like to let people know this b/c a lot of times we take all the anger that should be directed to the power co! It sucks to be talked to like a dog when we are only trying to help... I hope they get u on soon

It's easy for those power companies to "forget" things so you might need to stay on their @$$

That's very true, a few years back we had a ice storm, and some friends were without power for 5 days after everyone else in their neighborhood. Apparently their line got missed, when the power company came thru. Their neighborhood was marked off as being back up and running, so every time they called our $hi77y power company they were told everything was hooked up in their area. They finally found a sympathetic lineman who followed them home with his truck and discovered that their line was not hooked up.

Well being a lineman on storm trouble is kinda like being a mushroom...they feed us $#!+ and keep us in the dark....we ended up in the Pocono Mtns! They said where we were headed in NY got evacuated, who knows where we are headed but on a brighter nott we finally got a motel room and a hot shower! Upset that Tommy Chong didn't win the election....think I'm moving to Colorado!

TrainSafe said:
Speer,

Is this new storm going to affect your efforts?

I'm sure it'll prolong the outages! We're in Flemington NJ now and the snow is coming down pretty hard...getting windy too. It's gonna be a while before I see NC!

So, coupla things. Anytime the proverbial stuff hits the fan in NJ and you need gas--head down the NJ Turnpike AWAY from NY and the Parkway. I have friends who work for Rutgers and they need to be at work during crappy weather. The Turnpike gas stations around 8A (both NB and SB) are on 24/7, stocked with fuel multiple times a day and are run on diesel gen backup. They NEVER run out of fuel and saved me this week. Sorry I couldn't offer this up earlier but things have been...you know...crazy!

Also, anyone who's heard the stories about the unions strong arming nonunion crews from out of state...sorry it's true. Except, the towns didn't turn them away. The Locals (that's what we call the mafia here lol) get a perverse thrill out of forcing others to pay their dues especially when the crew originates from a Right to Work state. When the union realized they had a PR nightmare on their hands, they walked it back a bit. Read the union contract here and tell me if YOU would sign this to drive hours away, sleep in a tent, and be away from your family for a month. All things being considered I think they linemen are doing a great job and it really irks me when I hear people complaining when they see these guys eating or catching a snooze. They are doing dangerous work in crappy conditions, please show some appreciation!

We fared well from the storm in Piscataway, no flooding in my house but the winds hit 82 in my town and the treefall was devastating. Almost everyone in the state suffered massive power outages. By Wednesday the gravity of the situation set in for most: it was dark and we were on our own for a few days. I was only without power/internet/cel for five days; having a generator and fireplace made it tolerable. My brother, sister, and mother are still on generator power tonight. A looter attempted to blind my brother’s security cameras with spray paint but he successfully defended his home and family. Thankfully, all of my friends and family are warm and safe through a combination of advance preparations and the generosity of others. Advance prep made the difference. I took time to clean gutters, extend downspouts, move items inside, and check the gen and sump pump. For me it was more a wind event than a rain event, my two 50 year old pin oaks took a beating but are still standing! My sump never even turned on, not even once.

The fuel lines were really bad but those have mostly subsided. New Jerseyans--for all their perceived lack of patience--really stepped up this week and demonstrated humanity that I never thought possible. You still won’t find this patience on our roads though. ;-)

Sandy pretty much hit the pause button on life for a full week. My thoughts are with those that lost loved ones and homes, or who are cold tonight. Many weren’t as fortunate as we were. Boardwalks are gone from Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, and Point Pleasant. Many homes were pushed off of their foundations. My High School remains buried in 6 feet of sand. It’s below freezing at night and lots of homes in my town are still without power. It will take months or years for things to return to normal around here.

If you don’t have a generator, I strongly encourage getting one along with a few gas cans. Even if you’ve prepared, it’s likely your neighbor didn’t/couldn't. It’s very hard to tell an elderly couple or a family with kids that they can’t plug in or that you have to turn the generator off to conserve fuel. When I realized that others had come to rely on my generator and the temps dropped to 30 at night, I improvised a fuel storage solution and was able to provide comfort for others. This really put it all in perspective for me. I used two 15G blue HDPE extract barrels, bought gas on 8A SB in about 20 odd sized gas containers that I borrowed from folks, then dumped them into the barrels and hit the stop at 8A NB on the way home. This allowed me to store about 46 gallons which ran my gen and my neighbors for 48 hours. Sadly, they'll never make beer again but they have MVP status IMO.

I am really glad that I work for Cisco. I WFH full time and it allowed me to be closer to my family in the final hours and to have more time to prepare. I'm handling some very large projects and my boss told me to take as much time as I need and take care of my family. Some of my friends were forced to commute and spent precious hours on trains or in lines getting to loved ones. They missed getting the basics and had a tough time.

This was the most surreal experience I’ve ever been through. I've been in hurricanes before in North Carolina and watched 15 feet of snow fall in two days in the Sierra. I've never seen this kind of devastation It renewed my faith in humanity and put quite a few things in perspective. I will certainly never take a gallon of gas for granted and will have lots of gas cans for next time!

Today, I have much to be thankful for and I’m glad to be back at work!

Do linemen normally have to sleep in tents/cots when they travel? http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/4k_utlility_workers_from_acros.html

This kinda pisses me off. 12 hours in the freezing cold: thanks, here's your tent, 4000 smelly dudes, and your box lunch soldier. I guess it's still a state of emergency but I figured we'd put them in motels at least? Perhaps trot out all the available virgins that our city has to offer? Feed them steak once a week. I hope the pay is worth it; if not then hopefully a huge THANK YOU! will suffice. Inglorious work you guys are doing, thank you for helping us.

Unfortunately, since I have the mixed blessing of a securid to work from home, I havent been able to donate any time. Best I could do was a little money to the red cross and some blankets to a local family that still have power out. Thanks guys, you are all amazing.

Just found out my power wont be restored till Sunday. That, and theres already over 6 inches of snow on the ground. Theres a small hardware store by my parents house that has generators in stock so i already put my foot down with the wife and told her of my next purchase. I love my parents but theres a reason I moved out. Having a wife and two kids doesn't make it any easier to live with them. Hey, at least they have a fully stocked bar.

Back