1.020 after 3 weeks, is my ferment stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCue

Reaction score
I'm Brewing an Irish Red kit from More Beer. Went to bottle today after 3 weeks in primary and the FG was 1.020. It tastes a bit sweet as well. OG was supposed to be 1.050 but mine was 1.059, I can't explain the higher OG since I used all the grains and extract in the kit and ended up with almost exactly 5 gallons. I shook the carboy hard for 2 min and pitched one tube of White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast at 68 deg. I used a temp controll system with a thermowell so the beer was at 67 during the entire ferment. It started going within 8 hours and shut down compleatly within 3 days. I left it for 2.5 weeks and then dropped the temp to 35 for 3 days. Its supposed to attenuate 69%-74% but I'm only at about 65%. The FG should be closer to 1.015, so my question is, what do I do? It seems a bit stuck but I don't know if it's close enough to bottle or not? If I do need to restart it whats the best way to go?

It's probably done. Many brews with extract die at 1.020. Back when I brewed with it, every IPA I ever made died there, even with Pacman.

I'm guessing it was an extract batch which is not as fermentable as all grain so you wont get the same attenuation. I would rase the temp to the lower 70s and stir the yeast back up into suspension then wait a week and take a reading.

Back