Bottling / Secondary ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrodieBrewer

Reaction score
Well, my cider is in its secondary and has been in there since Oct. 19th. There is still alot of sediment at the bottom, so I think that I am going to try to siphon it again into another carboy before I try to bottle it.
Like a knucklehead I put the pump to close to the sediment when it was in its primary.
It still has a pretty strong sulfur smell, is this normal??
Can I add my cinnamon and spices when I bottle it?
At this stage what could I do if it was to dry? Could I add juice or lactose when I bottle it? I used champagne yeast

I want to take my 6 gal. Carboy of cider and bottle it into 6 one gallon bottles and experiment with different spices and additives.

My question is ...Is it too late? Will I ruin my cider if I add juice?

If it still has a strong smell it may still be fermenting. Check gravity for 3-4 days in a row. If there is no change its done. In order to sweeten you must first add a yeast inhibitor such as potassium sorbate. You can then use table sugar and sweeten to taste, may take up to 2 or 3 pounds if its really dry. If you are going to add cinnamon and/ or other spices, go ahead and do that now. Hope this helps

Back