Rinse after Sanitising?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Níl_fhios_agam

Reaction score
I am just about to embark on my very first Wine Home brew, and I have one small concern regarding rinsing after sterilisation. I just can't see the point in sterilising something then rinsing it with cold tap water!!! Is this the norm? All the videos and documentation seem to suggest this is ok, but surely tap water isn't bacteria free?

Am I being over cautious?

Use preboiled water for the rinse if it bothers you. I use to do that when I sanatised with bleach. These days I just use starsan with demineralised water and don't rinse at all.

I can't see the logic either, that's why I sanitize with a no-rinse sanitizer such as iodophor or starsan.

Here's a good (old) discussion on sanitizers. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

+1

you do need to rinse bleach sanitizers, and to remove the most amount of risk for infection, pre-boiled/cooled water is best.

next batch, get thee some star-san, and don't fear the foam :D

I've used no-rinse sanitizer and have sometimes rinsed and other times not and have never had any problems... but +1 on using preboiled water, if you are worried about it.

don't rinse star-san. do NOT fear the foam.

I've purposely drank star-san. its safe.

*I am a trained professional*

Back