Questions on longer mash and boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SporkD2

Reaction score
I have seen lots of recipes call for 90min mashes and boils.

The mash I can understand giving the enzymes longer to do their work and convert everything. Other then that what is the benefits? I have heard that anything longer then 60 mins is useless, please explain this to me.

The boil is what gets me. If i start with an 060 preboil and boil 60 mins I am going to get a certain post boil SG. How or what do I need to do to calculate a 90 min boil? Wouldnt that same 060 beer be a higher SG if I did a 90 min boil considering I will evaporate more water? I understand the boiling off DMS part, but does promash calculate a 90min SG?

Thanks

I was talking about this at a brew party the other day...The soon to be new owner of my lhbs (his boss is selling it to him) was saying he does 90 minute boils, and pitches his 60 minute hop addition after the first 30 minutes of boiling is done.

He was also talking about overnight mashings in a cooler....I know some people on here do it as well, I'm still curious about it.

I personally see no reason not to boil the hops for 90 minutes.

I don't know how familiar you guys are with Durden Park Beer Circle but IMO they make the best beers I've ever tasted and their web site says to boil the hops for 90 minutes for their recipes. If it's good enough for Durden Park it's good enough for the rest of us :)

Have a look here.

/Phil.

90 minute boils are important for all grain recipes that have alot of pilsner malt in them. Pilsner malt contains alot of precursor to DMS. A longer boil drives off the DMS which can leave a "cooked corn" off flavour behind if you don't. For people brewing IPA's 90 minutes can extract a few more IBU's and stretch your hop budget. Too long a boil with hops can result in off flavours though so there is a limit.

In terms of the mash you can do 90 minutes and eek out another 1-2% efficiency as well as dry your beer out a bit more. I do 90 minute mashes for wheat beers and lagers, 60 minutes for all my ales.

GT

Longer boils are good. :D

Longer mashes can be good, depending on your intent.

The longer your mash rest time, the more your wort will ferment down. It won't necessarily affect the OG.

When I went from a 45 minute rest time to 90+ minutes with an identical recipe, I went from a 1.014 FG to 1.007.

Mash times are just one more non-ingredient key to dialing in your specific goals for brewing.

For a light, crisp summer brew I'm going to mash for 90 minutes.
For a malty fall or winter brew like an Octoberfest or an Irish Ale, I'll drop that down to 40 minutes.

Back