Canning Wort for Yeast Starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you can wort for making quick starters?

If so how do you chill the wort to avoid generating DMS?

Thanks!!!

I think the problem is you can't crash chill it in the vacuum sealed canning jar w/o taking the risk of breaking the jar from thermal shock.

If you are canning it there is no way to cool it quick, you have to let it cool slowly and then it is sealed until you are ready to use it.
I decant 90+% of the starter wort and the little bit that is left in the slurry is so small when compared to the 5 or 10 gallons in my batch that its not a concern.

OK - I did the same thing with that last smelly starter I had two weeks ago.

BTW - I don't think it was infected, just strong smell of DMS, the Cream Stout I bottled has no off flavors as far as I could tell. It was made from a split starter.

there is nothing better than deciding to make a starter and having it on the stirplate and all the mess cleaned up in 5 minutes or less :)

One more post and your there

I'm culturing so I wanted small 50ml quantities of wort. Initial step-ups. I've been considering using tiny ketchup bottles for this.

ketchup.jpg

They have the button on the lid that pops in too.

I Don't think those would work in the pressure cooker.
You could get 4 ounce mason jars, drop .8 oz DME top off with water and pressure cook for 15 minutes @15lbs

You could always use half, recap and toss in the fridge till your ready to step up again.

414WKTYKFRL._AA160_.gif

Superior,

I want to do this pretty soon. After collecting your starter wort, what are your procedures for canning it?

Thanks

Going from memory I think it was 3.2 oz dme and fill the quart jars with water, 1/4 tsp nutrient. Cook for 15 at 15 PSI

SuperiorBrew said:
Going from memory I think it was 3.2 oz dme and fill the quart jars with water, 1/4 tsp nutrient. Cook for 15 at 15 PSI

Actually I was just thinking about making a simple mash with 2 row pale and sparging for a yield of around 3 gallons of 1.040-1.045, then can the wort.

I did the Papazian method for a while, and it worked really well. Boil up a bunch of 1040 wort, put in a minute bit of hops just to help inhibit some buggers from growing, then bottle in pre-warmed, sanitized 12 & 22oz bottles.

Worked like a charm for ~10 starters.

SuperiorBrew said:
I Don't think those would work in the pressure cooker.
You could get 4 ounce mason jars, drop .8 oz DME top off with water and pressure cook for 15 minutes @15lbs

You could always use half, recap and toss in the fridge till your ready to step up again.

414WKTYKFRL._AA160_.gif

I thought of using those. I have a dozen or two on hand. I've been collecting the little bottles and about 6 different strains.

I guess I could use them for passing out cultures or mini-starters to my HB pals.

:fro:

Thanks!

Back