Propane Burner Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I recently added a second burner to my 10 gallon setup. I purchased a used propane burner without doing any research. The burner is very sturdy and the guy who sold it to me modified it to work well for a keggle.

I brewed with it for the first time yesterday and was very disappointed. It took about 90 minutes to bring the wort to boil. When it finally reached a boil, it was VERY weak...more of a simmer. I think I am operating it correctly (fuel wide open, air mostly open to wide open). Not too much wind either.

Here is what I have: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BWGRW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is advertised is 40-45k btu depending on what you read.

Is there anything I can do modify the burner or regulator? Or should I just go buy SQ-14, blickman, or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like it should be a decent burner. Maybe your regulator does not adjust very far? It usually says on them the psi range.

I don't have a ton of experience, but maybe I can get you pointed in a possible direction. As I understand it, two factors may be able to be manipulated to increase the BTUs. One is the pressure of the regulator, and the other is the size of the orifice. Both of those things can affect the force of the "jet" of gas that comes out of the orifice, which affects the way air is drawn into and mixed in the venturi, which affects the BTUs. But, as I said, I don't have much experience with this, so do some more research before you make any changes.

I DO know that orifices are easy to drill out larger, but a ***** to make smaller...

i had a masterbuilt torch burner. i had awful soot issues. when compared to other burners we found that the casting is bad/wrong.

Back