Dip/pickup tube setups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrown9064

Reaction score
Searched the forums and could not find an answer to this one.

Ordering a new boil kettle from Spike Brewing and wondering how to set up the dip tube/pickup. They make a false bottom and wondering if that is the way to go.

The reason for my question is I did a brew in a keggle today with a center pickup and false bottom. The dip tube got clogged/was hard to start. Eventually got it going, but clogged again, repeat...

So what is the best way to set up the pickup/dip tube? Use a false bottom or use a short one on the side?

Also, all the boil kettles I looked at do not come with pickup/dip tubes. Only the Blichman. Where do you get the parts to make these?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but want to get this kettle set up right.

Thanks!
Chris

I use 90 degree elbow like this. Was Bobby from brewhardware's suggestion.

Works great so long as I keep whole hops out of it.

image-2246116848.jpg

I am interested in what others are doing as well as I too have a kettle on order from Spike currently. Now that I have seen Bertus' setup, I think I will follow suit and similarly install a 90-degree street elbow with hose barb.

The other option I was originally considering was a 1/2" pipe nipple and a high flow elbow barb from Bobby M. My kettle has welded fittings with 1/2" female NPT inside the kettle and would have needed that nipple to transition to the elbow barb. I think Bertus' setup will leave less wort behind, but may pull in more trub with the increased velocities pulled through the smaller barb orifice. Just get a good whirlpool going and hope for the best!

I have the 5/8 diptube from Brewhardware.com. I have a sanke keg but like to turn it off to the side and then make a whirlpool so the hops and trub are all in the center and the diptube leaves that and takes the wort around it.

I did just like Scottland did (above) and got the parts from Bobby M when ordering other "stuff". That is the "high flow" hose barb and a 90 degree street elbow. Works great!

I whirlpool, but still get a lot of hops in the out side. I use buckets to ferment, so a double mesh strainer works for me easily. Also, if you tilt the kettle a little right at the end you get the most wort sucked up.

2013-04-08 14.56.17.jpg

Back