IPA help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Ok I have never done an IPA.. Right now I have 3 oz. of each cascade, Centennial , and Amarillo .. Might these go together? If so what schedule would you go with? I can get more Cascade and Amarillo if needed.

I'd do
1.5 oz. Centennial @ 60
1.5 oz. Centennial @ 30
2.5 oz. Cascade @ 15
1.0 Oz. Amarillo @ 2
1.0 oz. Amarillo @ Dry hop

Ryanh1801 said:
Ok I have never done an IPA.. Right now I have 3 oz. of each cascade, Centennial , and Amarillo .. Might these go together? If so what schedule would you go with? I can get more Cascade and Amarillo if needed.

I would want to be conservative (considering the shortage)

In a 5 gallon batch 15AAU's of Centennial in the boil. (divide 15 by the alpha acid rating on the hop to get the amount)

Assuming the low end, that's going to be something like 1.6 oz

Half an ounce of cascade, and half an ounce of amarillo in the finish. The same for a dry hoping. You will find that the amarillo adds a nice low note to the Cascade.
(in more plentiful times I would have used goldings, northdown, or fuggles, rather than amarillo)

This way you can brew a second IPA without buying more hops.

Thanks topia that looks great..

Saul-- Im not really to worried about it. I bought these hops for cheap and wanted to use them all in an IPA. My LHBS can get all of these also.

Back