Yeast Rousing with Co2?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
OK i know that most of the time people rouse yeast by swirling their carboys/ buckets/ conical/ bathroom tub... :)

but... Major Breweries can't do that so they rouse with a pump correct? Obviously there is some loss in this process as the pump first has to dump some of the fermenting wort/beer to ensure no oxidation occurs.

My question is this... On a home brew level could you not just take a few shots of Co2 into the carboy, of course with the airlock off or a vent in place, and rouse the yeast this way.

Now I know that technically Co2 is harmful to the yeast however, the Co2 that is being presented is basically just a mechanism to re-suspend the yeast in solution. It doesn't have enough time to dissolve into the beer.

Am I missing anything here? Technically shouldn't this work just fine?

Any input would be nice to know...

I would imagine it would work, but it is much easier just to swirl if need be. Were you planning on connecting CO2 line to a racking cane or something, then pushing it down into the yeast cake at the bottom of the carboy/bucket? Or attaching some sort of permanent fixture that you can tie into. Sounds like a lot of work.

Actually what i did was attach a SS racking cane through a Carboy cap leaving one end open.. then pushed Co2 through the Racking cane to the bottom to agitate the yeast back into solution... then I kept that in there and through the end that was opend, put a 1/4 SS Tube into a jar with Star-san... The most work involved was actually lugging my 20# Co2 tank up from my bar...

Actually what i did was attach a SS racking cane through a Carboy cap leaving one end open.. then pushed Co2 through the Racking cane to the bottom to agitate the yeast back into solution... then I kept that in there and through the end that was opend, put a 1/4 SS Tube into a jar with Star-san... The most work involved was actually lugging my 20# Co2 tank up from my bar...

Simple enough. Did you have any issues with the pressure wanting to push the beer out of the carboy due to the bottom of the cane being below the wort level?

Simple enough. Did you have any issues with the pressure wanting to push the beer out of the carboy due to the bottom of the cane being below the wort level?

Nope no problems with that It bubbled a bit up from the bottom and because a carboy cap has an inlet and outet I threw opend the vent and had the extra CO2 Come out as I pushed it in.

It might kick the yeast up, but it might not fix a stuck fermentation.

I don't think I was at a stuck phase, but I heard that rousing the yeast on a super high OG beer was always a good idea, besides I will have to do this rousing again when I dry hop the beer...

I'm certainly not suggesting that this is a fix for a Stuck fermentation, rather another way to rouse the yeast in fermenter, especially for any time you would do a D-rest.

Back