Please help in satisfying SWMBO...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pubwilson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am fairly new to HBing, but I have done about 6 brews already so I am learning quickly. SWMBO likes my beers, but she doesn't like hoppy beers like I do. My question is, she has asked me to make her something she can enjoy, and I made her a mexican style Coopers kit (no hops), but I would like to also start something else to keep her going for a while. What is a good extract kit (not into AG yet) that I could use with WLP041 yeast I have in the fridge? Thanks in advance for any SWMBO pacifing ideas!:confused:

Try this:

[SIZE=-1]Cream Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Most beer styles are formulated for extremes. Extreme hops, extreme malt, extreme alcohol. This beer is less. Without sacrificing flavor, this beer has a clean, light style and drinkable on those hot summer days when extreme beer won't due.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]5 lbs Dry Ex Light Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3/4 lb Munich Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1/2 lb Biscuit Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 oz Tettnang Hops 6%(Boiling) 60 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 oz Crystal Hops(Flavor) 2 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Wyeast 1056 American Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For Bottling:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Add cracked Munich and Biscuit Malt to 1 1/2 gals of cold water and bring to boil. When the boiling starts, remove the grain. Add the Extra Light Malt Extract then bring to a boil again. Add 1 oz Tettnang hops. Boil for 58 mins. Add 1 oz of Crystal hops and boil for two minutes. Sparge the hops with cold water into the fermenter. Add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Ferment at 65º for 7 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter. Let it age 2 weeks in secondary then bottle or keg.[/SIZE]

This is a nice "lawmower" beer. Not really hoppy at all.

Gotta be honest with you, i saw the title of this thread and had to double check which board i logged into. :)

For 5 gallons:

5lbs Extra light DME (I use Briess Golden Light, Pilsen Light would also work)
1lb Crystal 20L
1tsp Irish Moss
.5oz Willamette @ 45
.5oz Willamette @ 10

I just got some '08 Willamette for dirt cheap to use in a similar recipe, I brewed this recently and have been enjoying it.

What kinds of beer does your SWMBO like to drink. That may be your best starting point so you can find something similar based on her preference.

If she doesn't really drink beer, try something like a citrus beer. I will be making the citrus weizen that you can find on this forum since I can see my other half enjoying that brew. Or you can try something along the lines of a lawnmower beer. It's not an official style of beer but it is usually a light color and low on hops which tend to please many SWMBO. It is something that is a good refreshing beer after mowing the lawn. You can probably find a few recipes here or in various online home brewing websites as well.

[SIZE=-1]Cream Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Most beer styles are formulated for extremes. Extreme hops, extreme malt, extreme alcohol. This beer is less. Without sacrificing flavor, this beer has a clean, light style and drinkable on those hot summer days when extreme beer won't due.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]5 lbs Dry Ex Light Malt Extract[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3/4 lb Munich Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1/2 lb Biscuit Malt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 oz Tettnang Hops 6%(Boiling) 60 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 oz Crystal Hops(Flavor) 2 mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Wyeast 1056 American Ale[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For Bottling:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1 1/4 cup Dry Malt Extract Or 3/4 cup Corn sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Add cracked Munich and Biscuit Malt to 1 1/2 gals of cold water and bring to boil. When the boiling starts, remove the grain. Add the Extra Light Malt Extract then bring to a boil again. Add 1 oz Tettnang hops. Boil for 58 mins. Add 1 oz of Crystal hops and boil for two minutes. Sparge the hops with cold water into the fermenter. Add the wort to the fermenter with cold water to make 5 gals. Add yeast when the temp reaches 70º. Ferment at 65º for 7 days or until fermentation slows. Rack to a secondary fermenter. Let it age 2 weeks in secondary then bottle or keg.[/SIZE]

This is a nice "lawmower" beer. Not really hoppy at all.

Also, try adding the Zest of 2 lemons to the end of the boil and then cut up the remaining lemon and place in primary during fermentation. I won Second place at the local fair with this beer.

I'm currently drinking Midwest's Liberty Cream Ale kit for a lighter change of pace. It's really good, although if your SWMBO is an unhoppy person, I would dial back the finishing Cascades (they give you 2oz--one for 60 minutes the other for 5 minutes). I personally love the aroma of Cascades so it works for me. Very light, very drinkable and was already good at 4 weeks after brewing day.

Do a Black Butte Porter Clone. Chicks dig it. The dark color scares them a little then the light clean taste delights them.

I've found that Edwort's Apfelwein is always popular with the ladies... Not technically a beer, but still something you can make for her (and as a bonus it is super easy to make).

had the same problem with my swmbo. i like apa and ipas. this is a super simple blonde ale that every girl who has come to my apartment has really liked. last night in fact some swmbo friends came over and brought 2 cases of bmc. they ended up drinking only 2 bottles, and killed the 3 gallons of this left in my keg instead.

5lb extra lite lme, or 4 lbs dme
1lb corn syrup
1oz brewers best pellet hops 60 min.
notty yeast. us-05 would work well too

~4% abv, nice lite session beer

Maybe a belgian Witbier? Papazian has a great recipe (Who's in the garden grand cru Ale) which goes well for extract brewers.

Or a Belgian Dubbel? Sweet and perfect ;).

I did the Northern Brewer Kolsch Kit back in the day, turned out good. A lighter beer and not too hoppy.

Thanks everyone for the responses, going to LHBS as soon as SWMBO get home for the Cream Ale and then I will take it from there.:mug:

I've found that Edwort's Apfelwein is always popular with the ladies... Not technically a beer, but still something you can make for her (and as a bonus it is super easy to make).

I agree on this one or the southern sweet cider. carb it in a dark beer bottles and you'll be good.

Also the fruit wheat beers. **not that I agree with fruit in the beer since it's against man laws, but since it's for her it's all good**

I made up an extract recipe for a Watermelon ale that every lady (and a lot of men too) have gone crazy over. Their initial reaction was that watermelon and beer do not equate, but this light, slightly fruity and slightly hoppy ale is not only refreshing, and easy to drink, but a totally simple beer to make. I will post the recipe in here and my profile later on tonight.

Making brews that the SWMBO enjoys is half of the challenge and battle of this hobby/obsession, 'cause if momma ain't happy; ain't nobody happy.;)

+1 on the Hefe. I just brewed one using white labs hefeweizen yeast. It had very nice banana notes without being too sweet. It's easy too.

My SWMBO is not a beer drinker at all, but she really likes the wheat beer I make. It's nice and light with a hint of banana and citrus flavours.

Wheat Beer O.G. 1.045
7lb Wheat Malt Extract
6 AAU Mt. Hood, Hallertau or Tettnang
Liquid wheat beer yeast culture
This is a light, refreshing summer beer, often served with a slice of lemon. For the distinctive clove and banana flavours of German wheat beers, use a liquid yeast culture.

Same issue here - SWMBO "does not like beer." I brewed up a batch of the "Itsok Kolsch" in Papazian's book, and turns out she enjoys it. It was even hit with her mother.

I always find that a long foreplay session helps........oh wait. sorry, what was the question :)

I agree with the rest of the people - figure out what tastes shes likes and then find something that matches it....

Back