Pliny the elder extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Austin homebrew but I want to do their kit but with the current price and shipping I'd prefer to give my local hbs the business. So that being said does anyone have the recipe from them for extract and would be willing to post it or pm me it?? Again If this is not kosher just let me know.

The grain bill is really simple:

84% 2-row
6.6 % cara-pils
2 % C40
7.4% dextrose

none of the specialty grains need to be mashed so you could just steep them. Check out the recipe floating around here for the hop bill and you are set to go.

The grain bill is really simple:

84% 2-row
6.6 % cara-pils
2 % C40
7.4% dextrose

none of the specialty grains need to be mashed so you could just steep them. Check out the recipe floating around here for the hop bill and you are set to go.

So hop bill ok no problem but are you saying I can just steep xamount of grains and no dme/lme? Also you gave percentages for it but if I'm doing a 5 gal batch what amounts am I looking at?

Morebeer sells it for $65. I have mine in the bottle as I type. Going to crack one open tonight. Bottled on 11-28-09. I tried one after 12 days but it wasn't finished carbing yet. Might be the cold in the house. Having a hard time getting my house over 70 deg.

Quickly calcing this, the rough estimate for grain breakout to hit the target 1.070 OG of Pliny would be:

10.5# 2-row (84%)
0.25# Crystal 40L (2%)
0.83# Carapils (6.6%)
0.93# Dextrose/Corn sugar (7.4%)

Coverting 2-row to extract is 75% for LME or 60 for DME, I believe.
Mess around with this free calculator to get the recipe how you want it.
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

Morebeer sells it for $65. I have mine in the bottle as I type. Going to crack one open tonight. Bottled on 11-28-09. I tried one after 12 days but it wasn't finished carbing yet. Might be the cold in the house. Having a hard time getting my house over 70 deg.

You know if it's the same kit? I know alot of people here rave about ahs kit not sure I've heard much about morebeer.

Something to keep in mind though is that Pliny is mashed low (around 151F) for a thinner mouthfeel, but this also increases the ferment-ability of the sugars, so that with a 1.070 OG the beer will still result in a 8% abv. I think you should prob increase the extract to higher than that though since extract batches tend to finish higher. The target FG is for Pliny 1.010, which you will never get to using extract. My $0.02.

The actual recipe calls for 12.5 ounces of hops. I think the AHS kit uses even more than that. How many ounces of hops did the Morebeer kit use?

Something to keep in mind though is that Pliny is mashed low (around 151F) for a thinner mouthfeel, but this also increases the ferment-ability of the sugars, so that with a 1.070 OG the beer will still result in a 8% abv. I think you should prob increase the extract to higher than that though since extract batches tend to finish higher. The target FG is for Pliny 1.010, which you will never get to using extract. My $0.02.

oh yeah, I forgot about that, +1 to this. The sugar will help a little but probably not enough.

Wouldn't you go the other way?
Go with a slightly lower SG, so you get closer to the proper FG?

No. In this case the FG only matters for mouthfeel. With an extract IPA, especially one with this much hops, you want to increase the OG and ABV and hopefully better balance the hops. At least that's my thinking. You are making an IIPA after all. This lack of control is one of the cons of extract brewing.

The actual recipe calls for 12.5 ounces of hops. I think the AHS kit uses even more than that. How many ounces of hops did the Morebeer kit use?

Hope this helps. It's taken word for word from the recipe sheet prvided with the kit. Calls for a total of 15.5 oz's. of hops including the dry hop additions.

Malt Extracts

9 lbs. Ultralight - 90 min.
1 lb. Light DME - Last 15 min.
8 oz. Maltodextrin - Last 15 min.
1 lb. Corn sugar - Last 15 min.

Steeping Grain

5 Oz. Crystal 40L - Steep to 170 Degrees for no less than 30 minutes.

Hops

The minutes listed are the actual boil time for the hops.
3 oz. Simcoe - 90 min. - bittering
.5 oz. Cascade - 90 min. - bittering
1 oz. Simcoe - 45 min. - flavoring
1 oz. Amarillo - 30 min. - flavoring
2 oz. Centennial - 1 min. - aroma
1 oz. Simcoe - 1 min. - aroma

Clarifying Treatment

Whirfloc tablet - last 5 minutes of boil

Dry Hop Schdule
All added to secondary after primary fermentation
3 oz. Amarillo
2 oz. Simcoe
2 oz. Centennial

Priming sugar for bottling

4 oz. corn sugar - boil with 2 cups of water for 5 min.
Estimated OG - 1.068-1.072
Astimated SRM - 8
Estimated IBU's - 100
Estimated ABV - 8%
Suggested Fermentation - 68 degrees

Back