Roggenbier Recipe Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Brewed it in spring 2008 and looking forward to tweaking it. Mostly from Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, hang on.

I did PM. 1.5# malted rye, 1.0# USA 6 row, 1.0# pale crystal and 0.5# malted wheat with 0.5# rice hulls. My notes say maybe 4ozs of the malted wheat next time.

I did 3.75HBU Fuggle (60), 7.5 HBU Challenger (30) and 7.5 HBU Challenger (5). 1/4 teaspoon coarsely gorund black pepper and 6.0# LME at flameout.

I did a coupel hour acid rest, then a 1 quart decoction and a little direct heat for 30 minutes at 122°F, then 90 minutes around 145. I will probably mash in the 150-155 range next time for only 60 minutes.

I ran my ferment with Notti Yellow under a spunding valve, FG was 1.016

HTH. This was really awesome with spicy food (curry) and hearty stuff like Bratwurst.

I did PM. 1.5# malted rye . . .
Technically a true Roggen needs to be at least 50% rye, so a PM version would be hard. Taking a Hefewiezen recipe like EdWort's and sub rye for most of the wheat is a good start.

Edit:
Glad I saw this thread. Poobah's recipe will go onto my brew schedule.

From BJCP Guidelines:
Ingredients:
Malted rye typically constitutes 50% or greater of
the grist (some versions have 60-65% rye). Remainder of grist
can include pale malt, Munich malt, wheat malt, crystal malt
and/or small amounts of debittered dark malts for color adjustment.
Weizen yeast provides distinctive banana esters and
clove phenols. Light usage of noble hops in bitterness, flavor
and aroma. Lower fermentation temperatures accentuate the
clove character by suppressing ester formation.

Latest posts

Back