Added 1.5 oz yeast nutrient to boil instead of 1/2 tsp - please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboehle

Reaction score
I got some yeast nutrient and did a yeast starter for this brew (my 3rd time brewing, recipe this time is Lawnmower de Saison from Midwest Supplies), mainly to make sure my yeast were doing ok to avoid having to pitch dry yeast like last brew (my liquid yeast died in transit because I forgot to add an ice pack to my order). I figured since I had it, I would add the yeast nutrient to the boil, too - it said to dissolve a 1/2 tsp in warm water and put it in the boil with 10 minutes left. I was manning the boil so I had my wife do the dissolving part. After the boil was done I brought the wort inside to use my new wort chiller (got the adapter so I could use the garden hoses with the kitchen sink), and I see the empty yeast nutrient container on the counter. She dissolved the entire 1.5 oz container of Wyeast yeast nutrient instead of 1/2 tsp - and I added it all to the boil. Wort is chilling now. Going to use a blowoff tube instead of an airlock, with a 5 gal bucket with about 1 gal of sanitizer in it. Hopefully it won't overflow that and make a mess in my freshly completed fermentation chamber. To be fair, I'm not sure I told her to only use 1/2 tsp...

Not much I can do at this point. Any comments or ideas on how to handle it?

LOL. reminds me of when my wife added a 2oz bottle of irish moss to my boil.

Note to self.....keep her out of my kitchen and I'll stay out of hers!

Back