I'm reusing my yeast -- can anyone suggest a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a batch of American IPA at the moment. Once I rack to secondary, I'm hoping I can time it so that I can pour a new, fresh batch of wort right on top of the yeast that's left behind. The problem? I don't know what would be a good beer to do this with.

I used white labs american ale yeast...can anyone suggest a good recipe (extract) that would lend itself to reusing this yeast? I've never done this before.

Also, what type of results can I expect? Thanks.

This is a really good yeast for lots of different styles and since you brewed a pale ale first, your options are very open (you aren't supposed to brew a lighter beer after a darker one).

Anything that has a very neutral yeast flavor to it would be a good idea to brew (Pale Ales, Ambers, browns, red ales, maybe something spiced or a barley wine (double good because pitching ontop of a yeast cake is almost a must) or even a stout) it is just a matter of picking what style you want to brew and going to the recipes database

As far as what to expect: get a blow-off hose ready, the thing will get to a very fast, very intense fermentation

This is a really good yeast for lots of different styles and since you brewed a pale ale first, your options are very open (you aren't supposed to brew a lighter beer after a darker one).

Just to add to that point, You want a beer with a higher OG on your cake, so you get some growth &/or you don't have more yeast than you need. If you want to brew a smaller beer you can add some distilled water, swirl & pour off about half the cake...

If you haven't made the transfer already, a better move might be taking a sample of the trub/cake, and using that to propagate a starter. This is what I do when I want to reuse yeast -- you get ideal cell counts and you don't over-pitch -- which can be potentially devastating to the brew.

Back