apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accorn46

Reaction score
Iam not really sure if what I'm thinking is possible the only reason I do think it is is because I was able to take store brought grape juice and forment it sucessfully unto a strong alcoholic beverage in about a weeks time.I'm wondering if it's possible to take say any type of yeast (bread,wine yeast,baking,etc) and produce like an I don't know something like an apple cider I guess what I'm really aiming for is something like woodchuck.somebody please feel free to correct me on any of this I'm still just a beginner.

I guess that feremented grape juice has the potential to end up similar to Apfelwein. I may try a grape juice version of Apfelwein someday.

Follow the link above for answers.

How old are you? I thought you were interested in Smirnoff Ice?

ohiobrewtus said:
I guess that feremented grape juice has the potential to end up similar to Apfelwein. I may try a grape juice version of Apfelwein someday.

sigworthy.

BrianP said:
How old are you? I thought you were interested in Smirnoff Ice?

Apparently 22, but as a 21 year old, we are not all bad at a young age, I know a lot of you got into the hobby early. :)

But to answer your question, yes you can ferment apple juice. With no or little added sugar, it will be a nice cider. If you follow the Apfelwein directions, you will have a 8.5% abv apple drink. In both cases you will finish with a dry, crisp beverage that will taste little like woodchuck. Woodchuck is left decently sweet, so to get close you would have to backsweeten by either killing th yeast off chemically or use non-fermentable sugars (splenda or lactose)

I started my 8th batch today for the leap year brew, so it catches on quickly. Biggest piece of advice is to take your time, get good basic equipment for what you need, and READ. I was reading on 3 or 4 different homebrew forums for 2 months before I tried my first batch. G'luck!

sweet I'm 22 I was interested in the ice but I remember the bad hangovers I would get the next day I never had that with any other beverage so I think I'll stick to apple cider.:)

Let me fix this for you:
accorn46 said:
Sweet! I'm 22.

I was interested in the Ice, but I remember the bad hangovers I would get the next day. I never had that problem with any other beverage. So, I think I'll stick to apple cider.
Isn't that easier to read? chriso tried giving you similar advice in this thread.

I'm not trying to be over-critical, and I don't want to upset the brand new guy, but your posts are incredibly difficult to read.

Have a good read through the apfelwein thread. It should help you immensely. If nothing else, read the first bit where EdWort answers most of the common questions. Also, don't use baking yeast in your cider. It won't turn out nearly as well as if you use brewer's yeast. Using wine yeast will usually result in a dry cider, while a specialty strain designed for cider may give you a sweeter result.

If you want somthing good and easy (pretty much just combine 3 ingredients..) the best bet is the cider. 15 bucks for to make that...i dunno about a week but starting at 1.070 down to under 1 after a good couple weeks makes for some good high and tasty alcohol content. read up and best of luck.

what kind of yeast would you suggest for a sweeter type of cider I'm interested in trying to make a sweet cider.

accorn46 said:
what kind of yeast would you suggest for a sweeter type of cider I'm interested in trying to make a sweet cider.
I used Pasture Champaign yeast + 2 lbs. brown sugar in my first cider. I tasted it a couple times throughout the fermentation/conditioning process, and thought it was awful. Way to dry and wine like.

So on my next batch, I didn't add any sugar, and I used Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast. Which is suppose to leave more sugar behind.

Well, what happened is the first batch aged a little, and it's great! I love the stuff. The second batch taste almost identical, but a little less crisp.

I don't think the lack of sugar, or the cider yeast made enough difference to notice much, all I did was sacrifice the ABV level. Besides, I found out that I like the dryer cider better.

I don't know if you've drank much cider, but you might decide that you like it dry better to. Good luck!

It seems that most people when starting out (myself included) want a "sweet" cider. "Sweet" is a relative term, but at least for me, the more sweet it is, the more the flavors and aroma of the cider are masked, and all that is tasted is sugar. Kinda like apple kool aid. I too have found that a drier cider is much more enjoyable than a "sweet" cider. The Mrs. has come around to that point of view also. Never thought that would happen. I have received a directive to start another batch. :D

Back