Carbonation Prob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cluehunter517

Reaction score
Hi, I made a really nice Winter Warmer and it seems to have come out really nice. It turned out to be pretty high on the charts at about 8%. Flavor seems really nice and spicy. Prob that I have is that when I bottled it and let it sit the required 2 weeks, I am getting no carbonation. It is kindof flat. Not totally flat, but flat enough. Should I let it sit longer or have I just got a bad batch of beer. When I bottled I added priming sugar, but no additional yeast. I also thought maybe I could unbottle it and try again. Is that possible. Could I unbottle it and keg it? Any ideas?

Thanks

It's colder now than in summer. I'd expect carbonation to take lots longer at 60 than at 75. I tried one of mine yesterday, been bottled since Jan 21. I've kept the 2 cases on top of the fridge with my brew thermometer in the box, reads 62. Slight action, slight mouth feel, but pretty flat. I'll try another about Tuesday, it should be better, but not fully headed. Probably takes 3 weeks, like the book says.

Also at 8% you got hardly any live yeast left... it's killed itself in it's own exrement... what a way to go. Give it some time. It will be fine, is my guess.

I had a pumpkin ale that for some reason never fully carbonated. However, after time the flavor mellowed out and it seemed like it was supposed to be a little flat. It had a unique mouthfeel that I liked a lot. Some beers are just not very carbonated, as part of their design. Although this was an accident, it worked for me. Either way, I'd just give it time and not worry. Especially if it's not so flat that you don't like drinking it.

Back