Brew Kettle Quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am about to make the upgrade to AG, and looking at the brew kettles online, they are all very expensive. Do I really need a $200-300 kettle, or can I just buy a sturdy 10 gallon stock pot?

It seems like the presence of the spigot and/or built-in thermometer really ups the price. I have a good clip-on thermometer, and I don't think I need the spigot. I have an immersion chiller, and I usually strain the chilled wort through a nylon mesh bag to keep the chunky stuff out of the fermentation bucket.

Am I a sucker to pay the big bucks, or will I regret going cheap on my kettle?

Depends on where and how you usually brew. A thicker gauge heavy kettle isnt really necessary if you brew inside on the stove with extract. If you brew all-grain outside on a high output burner, then you want something thicker.

I use a stainless steel keggle most of the time, i can brew 10 gallon all-grain outside on my burner without a problem. However it is heavy and hard to lug around by myself. They can be found for around $80-90 shipped on ebay and sometimes cheaper online. Cut the top, drill a hole and find a kit to put a spigot on it. These take a little more work on your part, but you'll have something seriously sturdy that will last.

Thinner gauge are fine too. My buddy has a $80 10 gallon kettle from Williams brewing that I like to use because I can do 5 gallon AG on my outside burner and can move it around much easier.

The blichmanns are the best of both worlds, but you're going to shell out the big bucks.

Back