Converting converted pin lock back to pin lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnesie

Reaction score
I happened upon a slightly damaged corny that someone was giving up because it won't hold pressure. I met the person and got the free corny and it's obvious that the opening is just out of true, thus causing the lid to fail to make a seal.

I'm somewhat handy so I intend to bang this thing back into trueness and test...but when I placed it next to all my other ball-lock cornies I noticed how much shorter and fatter this guy was. Sure enough, it's a pin-lock that someone converted to ball lock.

So here's my question. Since I got this thing for free, I was thinking about extending my karma and giving it to a pin-lock friend in kind. What is involved in converting a Pin-lock keg that's been converted to Ball-lock back over to pin-lock?

Is it just as simple as changing the posts? If so, I'd gladly just keep the ball lock as spares and get this guy setup with a third keg.

Any tips?

Here's a kit that's used to convert a corny from pin to ball. You'd just need to do the reverse -- so new posts, poppits, and springs. (If the current poppits are "universal", you might be able to get away with just swapping the posts.)

Yeah, you just have to switch posts back. There are different thread sizes for Cornelius or firestone so you have to get the right posts.

I have one set of cornelius pinlocks- if you have cornelius ball locks, we could simply swap by mailing them to each other. If you have challenger/firestone/etc, then it wouldn't work.

Let me know- that would make it great for both of us!

I have one set of cornelius pinlocks- if you have cornelius ball locks, we could simply swap by mailing them to each other. If you have challenger/firestone/etc, then it wouldn't work.

Let me know- that would make it great for both of us!

Yooper, I'd totally be down for that, but I'd want to be sure I could repair this keg first. The rim on the opening is bent so it won't seal.

Let me get into it and see if I can true it back up, then I'll measure the threads to be sure we've got a match.

Back