Am I clear to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Midwest brewing pumpkin ale (sg 1.042) on 9/1. I took a gravity reading this afternoon 9/4 and got 1.010 which according to the kit is within the starting gravity range. Is fermentation finished and I can bottle 10 days earlier than the kit states? Or should I wait a few more days and if it is still 1.010 then bottle?

It is probably SAFE to bottle at 1.010, but I doubt that it is READY to bottle yet. Beer can safely be bottled as soon as the fermentation is complete, but that does not mean that you will have GOOD beer. If you give the yeast more time in contact with the beer after the active part of fermentation is over, then they will "clean up" after themselves. Essentially, this means that the yeast will continue to change the beer, reducing un-desired flavors. I recommend leaving beer in primary for at least 2 weeks (3 weeks is better) for the best results.

If you are in a hurry to bottle (I know how hard it can be to wait!), then check the gravity again in 2 days. if it is still 1.010, bottle it up! Just remember that the longer you can wait (within reason), the better your finished beer will taste!

The Yeast might be done converting Sugar in alcohol in three days... But, they are not done. The Yeast still do allot of work with the Beer sitting on the yeast cake...

give it a three weeks in the Primary for the yeast to work, and let Beer Clarify.. then bottle

You will safe then: follow the 3/3 rule.. three weeks on the yeast; three weeks carbing up....

Pumpkin ales have a lot of stuff floating around in suspension for quite a while. The bottles won't blow up if you bottle now, but if the beer isn't clear all the stuff that is in suspension will end up in your bottles.

It's better to wait 14-21 days (even longer if you can stand it) for a pumpkin ale to clear and have most of the crud fall out and then rack off of the trub into the bottling bucket so you have nice clear beer in the bottles.

I always wait at least two weeks before pulling a batch out of primary. It keeps me from being tempted to drink the bottled beer when it's still too young. The only way to be sure fermentation is done is to take a couple of SG readings over a few days. If it stays stable, it's done. If not, let it sit some more. Either way, I would wait another week or two at least before you bottle.

Sounds good I like the 3/3 rule. Seems easy to remember but until I get a little bit of stock it may be hard to follow. :). appreciate the insight.

Back