Can I use this regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix2Fingerz

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my kegerator and getting parts. I just bought a couple of ball lock kegs from someone on craigslist and they had an old regulator laying around that I grabbed for 10 bucks. After a first glance, it looked like a standard dual gauge regulator with both gauges with psi ratings that you would find on a typical Co2 setup.

However, once I got it home I found that it was a nitrogen regulator made to screw into a tank with a female adapter found on nitrogen tanks where Co2 has a male connection. The regulator is an old tap-rite:
Series 740N
Compressed Gas
Regulator 336M
Nitrogen
2640psi (@70DegF) Max inlet pressure

If I get the right adapter, could I use this for Co2?

I would try selling it or trading it for a co2 regulator before trying to convert it.

Keep it for when you brew something that you want to serve on beer gas/nitrogen. New those are $45-$60 (from Keg Connection)... So at $10 it's worth holding onto. At least until you decide (beyond any doubt) that you'll never use beer gas/nitrogen for a batch.

I use a "nitrogen" regulator for my kegerator setup and never had any issues. I simply found a local air company and swapped the threads to match my CO2 tank.
Was it made for CO2? No, but to convert the regulator only cost me $0.50 and it works great. Gas is gas

Yeah I probably shouldn't have stated that, definitely not true. But I do know for certain that a regulator designed for nitrogen can be modified to dispense CO2 safely. That's all I was trying to say.

Felix,
I know this thread is old but I just picked up the same tap-rite 740N regulator and was wondering if you ever used yours for CO2

You can use it for CO2, you just need to swap the CGA nipple/nut, as WPen mentioned.

If you want to keep the regulator intact you can also buy an adapter. Nitrogen tanks use CGA 580, CO2 uses CGA 320. Here's a sample adapter, you can probably get it cheaper someplace else:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7923A13

Back