Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I have a kit for a Honey Wheat

4lbs Wheat LME
2lbs Wheat DME
1oz Cascade (5min)
1lb Honey
Yeast (nameless white packet)

This kit did not come with bittering hops and the yeast skeeves me out. I was thinking of using Wyeast #3944 that I washed from my Belgian Wit as the yeast.

As for bittering hops I was thinking of using .5oz of EK Goldings [5%] that I had left over from my previous brew. I thought to get better utilization I would add the hops to the water (2-2.5 gallons) by themselves for ~15minutes and then start a normal 60 minute boil.

Do you think this would work/taste good?

Please no response that have anything to do with a LHBS because I dont have one.

I'd skip the Cascade aroma hops, but otherwise, it looks good. Wheat beers generally don't have much hop flavor/aroma, and Cascades will be a little pungent, I think.

so why in the hell would they provide them. Should I just use the .5oz Goldings for bittering, and leave out the Cascade all together?

EDIT: If I add the honey early and let it caramalize will it help the honey flavor carry through to the bottle?

pfranco81 said:
so why in the hell would they provide them. Should I just use the .5oz Goldings for bittering, and leave out the Cascade all together?

EDIT: If I add the honey early and let it caramalize will it help the honey flavor carry through to the bottle?
Yup, just bittering hops, no Cascades at all.

Nope, add the honey late. Otherwise you risk boiling off some of the flavor/aromatics.

pfranco81 said:
I was under the impression that honey will ferment almost completely out. Do you think adding it very late would be best?
That's the only way I've ever seen it in a recipe. Supposedly adding it late allows a little flavor to carry through. It will ferment rather completely, and the flavor will be subtle. If you want honey flavor, steep some honey malt (1/2 lb or so).

Back