The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points, Joker, and I agree with them all. That match on the 10th was an outlier... Cooper was doing well and Perlaza was sloppy and slow. I guess it was opposite day.

But congrats to them for getting their first road win!

Yeah I would say that is rare typically Perlaza is running around like a mad man and Cooper is trotting as usual, or falling down. :drunk:

That was great in addition to breaking out recent loosing trend.

They had a great rhythm going earlier in the season (at least at home) but they seem to have lost it, hoping this will help them get it back.

Well, we're agreed on Cooper. I pretty much just see him sitting up top waiting to draw a foul and not doing much besides.
That is how I see it too.

If you're down on Cooper for scoring only 3 goals, why not be down on Perlaza for scoring only 4? I guess I feel like I see other players doing more with their chances and chasing down the ball when they lose it. (I'm also a little tired of seeing the D-line scoring as many goals as the forwards).

I feel Perlaza is trying to make things happen they just aren't falling into place but Cooper.... well see above he just isn't trying from what I see. And as I understand it the whole reason we got the big Ox up there is to score, and he isn't. I forget who the game was against he couldn't even score when give to penalty kicks, Jewsburry finally had to score it for him. :ban:

The Chicago Fire are in the semi-finals of the US Open Cup! I have a great story to share:

Last week, I stopped by the Globe Pub in Chicago, to have dinner and wait out rush hour traffic before heading home. But half-way through my dinner, Peter Wilt, the former GM of the Fire sits down next to me. Turns out that Section 8 (the Fire's supporters group) was having an event that evening where they were replaying videos of the Fire's previous Open Cup victories. So I spent the next couple of hours visiting with him.

The 1998 Open Cup final was won when current Fire Technical Director and Interim Manager Frank Klopas scored the wining goal. Frank ended up joining us at the Globe, sitting with Peter and I, as we watched him score the goal on video. Great fun.

In any case, the season may be down the toilet for the Fire, but we're two wins away from winning yet another Open Cup - Go Fire!

Yeah dude I think that night would make up for the heartbreak you're dealing with. :D

And not to lessen the victory, but NYRB looked like ass that night didn't you think? It was a little embarrasing for me to watch. Hans Backe didn't even both to make the trip. But your boys were looking good. 4-0 against NY reserves can easily translate to a 1-0 win in the finals against a club that's actually trying. Just bummed the effing Sounders pulled away from my G's.

Just watch out for the USL-side Richmond... they're looking to make a statement.

Wow, amazing goal. I'll be shocked if it doesn't win GOTW

Last edited by a moderator:
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLqmDlIqFqI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLqmDlIqFqI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Yeah I think I will be running the game again. It may not pop up until Sunday (my sister is getting married tomorrow) but I'll have it going. Hell, I don't know if I even need to do anything :D

cwyeary, yeah those are also both super sick goals. I'm just bein undecisive :)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLqmDlIqFqI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLqmDlIqFqI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Awesome biff

What a long overdue decision made by USSF today. Our federation has way too much money/support/sponsorships to have gone this long without a marquee coach.

Yeah, Klinsmann is a quality manager. While we may not see immediate play difference on the pitch (i.e. August 10th friendly vs Mexico probably won't be the turning point) but give him time to work his system, get in players he wants and we should see some results by the Olympics.

It's a good thing he'll have a long string of friendlies before any qualifiers. Even with a new coach I don't think we have the talent to outcompete Mexico's current squad, but hopefully we will show better against the other teams in our region. We've underperformed for too long against the kind of squads that we should be easily beating.

Bout time we got some new blood coaching. International coaches should get 4 years and no more unless they produce unexpected results (more than once).

I was thinking about making a separate thread for this, but I think my target audience is already here:

Barclay's Premier League fantasy has the new site up and running for 2011. I've played the last couple years. They changed a few rules this season, but I think the game is broadly superior to the various MLS formats. If you care to come play, the address is: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

and the code to join the Homebrewtalk.com league is: 7528-199167

Awesome biff
I've done that. Not in a game, mind, but I have done it. :rockin:

It's a good thing he'll have a long string of friendlies before any qualifiers. Even with a new coach I don't think we have the talent to outcompete Mexico's current squad, but hopefully we will show better against the other teams in our region. We've underperformed for too long against the kind of squads that we should be easily beating.
Thankfully, Chicharito is out for next week's match. I'm going out of my mind wanting to see JK's selection, which is supposed to be announced today. I haven't been this interested in a pre-match roster announcement since the World Cup roster selection.

Thankfully, Chicharito is out for next week's match. I'm going out of my mind wanting to see JK's selection, which is supposed to be announced today. I haven't been this interested in a pre-match roster announcement since the World Cup roster selection.

I know, right?!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

No but seriously, Portland played the best match I've ever seen them play. In the first half, Perlaza was out of control!!! He couldn't be stopped.

And I don't want to lessen the achievement of the win and ruining an amazing unbeaten streak, but LA really played the worst match I've seen all season.

But, once again...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

No but seriously, Portland played the best match I've ever seen them play. In the first half, Perlaza was out of control!!! He couldn't be stopped.

And I don't want to lessen the achievement of the win and ruining an amazing unbeaten streak, but LA really played the worst match I've seen all season.

But, once again...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

:ban:

Yeah even LA said the deserved to lose, they forgot to play and we came loaded for bear.

I agree, in the first half Perlaza looked like he had a motor, he was movin.

Anyone watch the Sounders vs San Francisco (Panama) Champions League game on Wednesday? I don't have Fox Soccer but listened to it on the radio. I was curious if the Panamanians really were flopping all over the place like Arlo White the announcer described them. Glad we pulled it off though.

Anyone watch the Sounders vs San Francisco (Panama) Champions League game on Wednesday? I don't have Fox Soccer but listened to it on the radio. I was curious if the Panamanians really were flopping all over the place like Arlo White the announcer described them. Glad we pulled it off though.

Dear god, yes they were. It was like 10 "El Pescaditos" out there.

Well, my lot kicked off the first day of the season in NPower Championsip today as newly promoted hopefuls. They had not won the first game of the season for 12 years!

Got a very classy 3-1 win! :mug:

Oh yes, I joined the HBT league...I hope I remember to keep it updated!! I used to play this Fantasy league until a few years ago. I lost interest in it when my RL team got relegated from the Prem.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Grats to your shiney new promoted club.

Also, if anybody saw, last night LA definitely made up for their midweek loss to Portland.

And speaking of Portland, I was watching condensed matches on MDL this morning.... Perlaza is looking scary. And that commentator is a fracking idiot... Perlaza was most certainly onside on the play that resulted in a goal for the boys in green.

Arsenal have just bought a 17 year old kid from my team for $25M!!! :D

This kid has not even played a game outside of the third tier.

Back