SMaSH: CA Common or Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravity84

Reaction score
Considering making a SMaSH beer as my next batch. As an added restriction, I am thinking about trying to make it fit within a certain style. I've decided that I want to use Munich as my base malt. I cannot lager so they would be fake lagers using clean ale yeasts, perhaps I'll give the new WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast a shot, if not, I may default to Pacman that I can build up. Which of these styles do you think would take best to my brewing limitations?

IMHO, fake lagers are always disappointing. Make the best ales you can, but don't try to fool yourself that you're going to be able to make an Anchor or Ayinger taste-alike without lager yeast, temp control, cold storage, and patience.

I do this all the time and while I agree with the above two posters, terrapinj and 944play, I think you can make a very fine beer with the limitations you have set yourself. Are you brewing within style? Not necessarily but don't let that stop you!

I haven't done a California Common Style beer but have done an Oktoberfest style. I think your base malt as Munich is perfect (I LOVE it!) and use some German noble hop and you're off to the races. I used Hallertau on mine because that's what I had at the time.

As far as yeast goes, I use US-05 all the time and it serves me VERY well. It finishes out quickly and is very clean tasting.

My most often brewed fake lager is a Pils which also happens to be a SMaSH. All pilsner malt with either Hallertau or Saaz for the hops.

Enjoy!

Why not use Californina Lager yeast (Anchor Steam). It's a warm lager, fermented in the low 60s, and doesn't need extended lagering. It's exactly what the california common style calls for.

This time of the year, I cannot cool lower than about 74 or so, maybe 65 with the use of a fan and the wet towel trick.

You won't find anything that will give you lager characteristics at 74*. If all you can cool to is 74*, you need to brew styles that are suitable, i.e. belgians and saisons.

Or.... do what the rest of us do that live in hot climates, and get a dorm-fridge with a temp controller to ferment in =)

scottland said:
You won't find anything that will give you lager characteristics at 74*. If all you can cool to is 74*, you need to brew styles that are suitable, i.e. belgians and saisons.

Or.... do what the rest of us do that live in hot climates, and get a dorm-fridge with a temp controller to ferment in =)

I've had good results with the cream ale yeast from white labs at around 68 degrees. I really can't taste much, if any, diff between anchor steam and my brew. In fact, I prefer mine as it seems just a little crisper with less aftertaste.

I've had good results with the cream ale yeast from white labs at around 68 degrees. I really can't taste much, if any, diff between anchor steam and my brew. In fact, I prefer mine as it seems just a little crisper with less aftertaste.

Well 74* and 68* are a big difference =)

Back