The life story of my brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictorial, very nice craftsmanship. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Looks so sweet! Hell of a job Ted! Hopefully my twin turns out that nice and not oblong or trapezoidal :)

Here is a crappy camera phone pic of the manifolds

2.jpg

Thanks guys!
Post #64 is a list of what I've spent and where I sourced everything. It seems to be a common question.

Great job on your Brewery, Wish I knew how to weld. Actualyl I wish i had the disposable income to just by one :)

Another thumbs up from me, I'm working on the same project and you've filled some holes for me!

The real question is owning that critter that lives in your mash tun, how do you have so much time to be knocking this out? I own a 4 year-old and he's keeping my progress at a crawl. I should be finished in about a year LOL.

Thanks mateomb! Yeah, it's not easy and my wife is getting sick of me being out in the garage "all the time" if you know what I mean... I'm usually out there when everyone else is getting ready for or actually in bed. I've got a 3 and 1 year old.

Brew Stand Day Time Lapse, part 2

Part 1 might be corrupted and beyond repair. Guess we'll never get to see me light myself on fire. Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just awesome.
AWESOME pictures Paul, thanks for documenting the day!!!

Thanks guys! I'm in the west metro near Waconia and Paul is on the north-west side near Brooklyn Park.

Gosh all these MN people!

I am Just Past the outlet malls in Albertville. I also have a Homebrew Club in Monticello, we pull quite a few from the cities. You guys on the Midwest Forum at all?

Gosh all these MN people!

I am Just Past the outlet malls in Albertville. I also have a Homebrew Club in Monticello, we pull quite a few from the cities. You guys on the Midwest Forum at all?

I'm in Maple Grove so just south of ya. I've watched your brewery build progress over in the Midwest forums, just awesome by the way.

Ok, Here's the pieces and parts:
Estimation of total spent on card: $630.00
(I'm sure I forgot something so I'll edit the post if something comes to mind)

The steel tubing:
1 1/2" x 1 1/2" 14 gauge
(4 count) 62" pieces
(8 count) 17" for the vertical legs
(8 count) 13.5" for the corners and keg holders
(12 count) 7" wide x 8" tall plates for the burner mounts.
I had a 3/8" slit plasma cut into each, I think it's 4" tall
Cost: Beer

Ebay casters from sescasterco:
"Caster 5". Total Lock Threaded Stem. Rubber Wheel"
Cost: $8.29 a piece
They require a 1/2" hole, so have a sharp drill bit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150385618042&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3692.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D150385618042%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Stainless washers and stainless nylon lock nuts for the casters - hardware store

BG-14 burners
Supplier: Agrisupply www.agrisupply.com
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64494
Cost: $29.95 each

And the High pressure adjustable regulator
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64484&sid=&eid=
Cost: $19.95

And the LP gas hose assembly
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=36108&sid=&eid=
Cost: $5.99

Hardware store:
This hardware is to connect the burner to the plates. There is a bit of room between the 7" wide plates and the burners. It was a slight mistake but it ends up working out well as it leaves some room between the flame and the burner mounts.
(12 count) 1 1/2" stainless bolts (M3 pitch)
(12 count) 1/4" aluminum spacers
(24 count) stainless fender washers

I went with two "Little Chugger" pumps from Ebay. They are like the march pumps but were cheaper due to a manufacturing flaw. I can't remember the exact cost but I think they were in the ballpark of $80-$90 each.

I just used a couple small plates with holes to mount the pumps to the frame.

For pump switches, I'm going to run a "double ended" extension cord from a GCFI outlet in my garage into a plastic shoe box mounted to the bottom of the frame. I'll have two remotes and receivers - one for each pump. I got the Skylink WS-100 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-WS-100N-Wireless-Control-Channel/dp/B00008X5D5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297129088&sr=8-4
Cost: ~$18.00 each

Three cans of Rustoleum High Heat flat black, again from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-248903-Automotive-12-Ounce-Degree/dp/B003CT4AKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1297129164&sr=8-1
Cost: $8.09 each

I'll let Paul post the pieces for the manifold, the yellow flex-gas lines, the brackets for holding the manifold to the stand and the parts that connect the lines to the burners. These last fittings were a pain in the butt to find. We ran 1/2" black gas piping, two T's one elbow, three valves, three short nipples... I think the manifolds were about $100.

I also dropped between $50 and $100 at the hardware store and the Depot on misc. crap like angle grinder brushes, stock steel pieces (straps and angle) both 14 gauge and 1 1/2".

Tools to have on hand:
Welder
Welding mask
Welding gloves
90 degree magnets
Vice grips or quick clamps
Wire Brush
Side cutter
Angle grinder (cutting wheels, grinding disks and knotted brushes)
Tape measure
Quick square
A marker or 3
Drill
Drill bits
*Hearing Protection
*Eye protection and a face mask

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one sweet setup! Kudos for having a step-by-step pictorial of your brew stand build.

I have a random question for you. I have a detached garage in which I plan on turning into a brewspace. What did you do to prepare the space before the build? My concern is sanitation. Did you powerwash the garage at all? Bleach floors? Run an ion filter?

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I plan on putting my grain and other items in there for storage in a space that is currently occupied by oil spills covered in cat litter and other fluids used for servicing the car.

Thanks Danbreeze,
I didn't do anything to the space and my garage floor is probably just as dirty as yours. I keep my grain in my refrigerator that's clean and keep all my stuff covered with plastic garbage bags. I'm sure to rinse and sanitize everything before use, obviously, but as long as you keep your stuff off of the floor, you should be fine. I don't wash my floor or anything. I sweep or shop-vac it every once in a while but that's it. I just clean and sanitize the stainless table in there and work off of that.

My garage floor is absolute crap and needs to be taken out and replaced but that's probably not ever going to happen. If it was in good shape, I'd prep it and epoxy coat it or something. There has to be a way to prep concrete so that stuff will work, but because it's not an option for me, I haven't looked into it.

That is good to know thanks. I plan on putting epoxy on the floors and putting in insulation to shield the temp.

How about ventilation? Do you open/crack the garage door when you brew or have a way of letting the fumes escape?

Yeah, I usually crack the garage door every now and then depending on how cold it is outside. If it's -17 like it is today, I'll only crack it only a few times as needed. If it's summer-ish and not extremely windy (I effing hate wind) I'll just leave the garage door open.

HA! Thanks. :)
I would see if you can borrow or rent one first - unless you think you'll need it quite a bit more.

Walter filter? Up in these parts, we call Walleye "walters"..
7lb 3oz. 27"
3189_77830878845_596098845_1660724_717754_n.jpg

Enough bragging...

I think I got this one from the Depot:
a52f9ee5-e3f3-411c-a447-d27cfd58e7a0_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100471282/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
There are a few there like it and three or four different filters you can throw in.
I'll be marking a piece of masking tape on the filter cup wit tick-marks to keep track of how many times it's been used.
When the water starts tasting bad again, I'll know the life of the filter.

Hey Gridlocked,

It's been a while since I have visited your thread...nice work! The rigs look awesome. Now I can't wait to start on mine. I'm working crazy hours, so my progress in my basement has once again slowed to a crawl. I still have the drop ceiling and carpeting to complete. I also have some odds and ends like building shelving (pantry/closets) and building the wine racks/beer shelves in our wine/beer cellar. Too much to do....too little time. :drunk: Against my better judgement and against my wife's wishes, I started a keezer build. I am so frickin' burned out with the basement build that I needed to change gears a little. I got my hands on a new 7 cf GE freezer on CL for cheap last week, so I started the build on Sunday and also started a thread. I am soooooo sick of bottling, so the keezer has become a priority at this point. I'm building it to match the rustic decor in my bar, check it out if you get a chance. I promised my wife that I would have the rest of the basement done this spring, at which point I will begin my single tier build. Your build turned out spectacular, so I may have to steal some ideas from you. :D Again, awesome job!

Very nice build. I was planning on putting together a weldless stand in the somewhat near future, but the more I look at this thread, the more I guess I need to buy a welder, teach myself to weld and do it right.

...of course this is all contingent on buying a house. We are renting ATM and our lease is up in July. I am hoping we can find just the right place where I can have a workshop for all my projects I need to get caught up on.

Thanks guys!
Hoppopotomus - your project is awesome! Great craftsmaship and way to stick with the theme!!! If you ever fall into some extra cash or just get sick of that machinery making all that noise, let me know and I'll help you out quieting it all down. :)

Mr.Goodwrench - I would say that the purchase of a house trumps a single tier system, but that's up to you. It's spendy and I'm only able to drop the extra cash because of a kick ass year end bonus. It is damn nice having my own garage though! Keep in mind I'm sure you can bolt together a stand that's plenty strong. Even these are SIGNIFICANTLY over built for what we'll use them for.

Update: I picked up a couple remote control switches from amazon and wired plug ends onto my Chugger pumps. I bought all the crap to put a GFCI and light switches in but that crap was flipping expensive! So now I'm taking a clear Rubbermaid shoebox size storage tote with snap down lid and two remote switches so I can turn my pumps on and off with a remote. I'm going to run a double ended extension cord from a GFCI outlet in my garage to the stand, up and into the bottom of the tote and have all my connections in there. They will be held to the side of the box with velcro. I'm going to silicon all of my connections as an extra precaution.

I'll try to add pictures soon

Easy-peezy lemon squeezy.

Yeah, the house is priority #1. Of course, once we have the house, SWMBO's scrapbook studio will be the first order of business then I can get down to getting my brewery set up. I'm sure that I will probably put a weldless stand together at least for a temporary basis once I am in there. We are renting a house now ~ we moved down here from NY last summer for a new job and decided to rent for a year so we can find the right place to buy instead of just the first thing we found. Meanwhile, I'm gonna start getting other things together as I find them (keggles, etc.) Definitely looking forward to the new pics.

I was able to get some work done tonight, finally. With my hands, a bar of metal and some quick clamps, I bent up some splash guards from some aluminum diamond plate, mounted the pumps and put in some click-together laminate flooring that I had laying around. The theme is an old woody-style hotrod. I didn't have time to mount and play with the pump switches but I'm close. It looks like I need to get used to taking pics with my new phone.

2011-02-21225733.jpg

2011-02-21231239.jpg

2011-02-21235510.jpg

2011-02-21235530.jpg

Nice man. Pump shields look great! And the laminate shelf underneath is brilliant. Got me thinking now, would be nice to have a shelf under there.

Back