Dry hopped turkey brine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
So I am in the middle of making a turkey brine and I was debating whether to boil my brine or not. I decided to boil the salt and sugar and add half of my herbs in the boil (to force the tasties out of them) and then cool it down and add the rest of the herbs (to capture the sensitive fragile oils). that made me wonder, could a dry hopped brine make a turkey taste good? Has anybody tried it?

............Do you mean Dry herbed?

Hops and food work surprisingly poorly.

Even a slightly bitter turkey would taste like ass.

I have mixed sage and aromatic hops with butter after brining a turkey in IPA salt water. The hop/sage butter went under the skin and made the turkey very good.

Aroma and flavor might be OK, but the word BOIL was in there, so I leaped back.

SERIOUSLY, I put a tablespoon of an IPA in some gravy once and it was inedible, despite the fact that I can drink a sixer of ruination and want another, bitter in food just doesn't work.

I usually throw in a beer when I make chili and I often use IPAs. Also tossed a bottle of SN Celebration in a soup I made a couple days ago. It obviously just depends on your tastes, and the main thing is to not overdo it. I make fairly big batches of those things, so the beer isn't like half the broth or anything.

Maybe there's certain hops that wouldn't taste horrible with "turkey herbs" but I personally would stick with the standards. (Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, etc.)

They're tried and true.

Turkey hops..... Strisselspalt? I've heard they are floral and lemony and can have some current/dark fruit....could work with turkey.....but I am still wary.

Maybe there's certain hops that wouldn't taste horrible with "turkey herbs" but I personally would stick with the standards. (Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, etc.)

They're tried and true.

I agree. What if the hops made the drippings, and as a result, the gravy, bitter. If i was served bitter gravy I would be highly dissappointed.:mad:

No. I do brine my turkeys in a vegetable/herb brine. Take veggies of your choice along with herbs of your choice and reduce them in boiling water. Strain and add salt for brine. It's nice.

Absolutely!

Brine is essential. While we are at it, a digital thermometer is absolutely essential OR YOU WILL OVERCOOK THE BIRD.

To the people who cook a bird for a certain amount of time, or until a little plastic (worst invention ever) pops out: enjoy your dried out bird.

Back