Strangest Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
My curiosity enticed my previous post and the sweet potato one, I was just wondering what is the strangest brew you've ever heard of, or even tasted. My LHBS had a beer contest and I ended up being one of the judges. Someone submitted a tomato beer... yes tomato. It was UNDRINKABLE! I almost spat it out, but I didn't want to be THAT rude.

I made a beet mead once and it did very well in competition, although I did not like it. It was done as the result of a long night of drinking. We had wanted to make a meat mead, but settled for the beet mead for obvious reasons.

I also made a bean beer once with a friend as a research project for an article in Zymurgy way back in the day. It was fine, but nothing I have ever wanted to try again.

I make a Jasmine Rice lager that I love, but it isn't so strange.

I make a mean green chile beer and it is good.

Beet mead is about as out there as I have gotten but maybe it is time for that meat mead.

I think that Pumpkin Ale that people are always brewing in the fall is some of the nastiest most foul tasting crap ever - I can't believe anyone can drink that garbage.

I don't do strange brews myself. I brew beer I like to drink. I've judged some simply awful beers & ciders though. Kinda reminded me of judging chili cook-offs. Some nasty stuff was produced IMO just to watch judges make faces or puke (chili that is).

Perkuno's Hammer from Heavyweight (a Baltic porter) had beans in the mash and was an excellent beer.

I think last year’s Icabod from Alpine was the weirdest beer I have had, a pumpkin ale aged in wine barrels with brett. Strange and wonderful at the same time.

i make a banana bread ale, although it's not really that strange...it's all barley and wheat...just has the characteristics of banana bread from the yeast and malts.

i also made a black wit :D basically just a wit with carafa II. it was AWESOME...i want to make it again, but it won't be ready in time for holidays. oh well, it can still be a "winter" ale in january. maybe i'll brew that this weekend :)

I almost spat it out, but I didn't want to be THAT rude.

Spitting is allowed. The last HoV picnic, I brought a hop wine (not a barley wine). One member's reaction, "This is terrible!" I even put a warning label on it, so people didn't waste large quantities. Some people liked it (I do), but man it is bitter.

Spitting is allowed. The last HoV picnic, I brought a hop wine (not a barley wine). One member's reaction, "This is terrible!" I even put a warning label on it, so people didn't waste large quantities. Some people liked it (I do), but man it is bitter.

I have a friend who made Charlie Papazian's Goat Scrotum. 30 GALLONS NO LESS!!

Its the worst stuff I have ever tasted. Its like malty NyQuil mixed with B.O. essence. He opened it behind me at a HB Club meeting. I sniffed in told a friend somebody here needs a shower. I quickly found out it was Goat Scrotum. I asked him if he owned some goats. It was some nasty crap.

To this day he still has this stuff in a keg. Its seven years old!!! To my amazement he drinks it regularly even with his possession of a BJCP card.

I think that Pumpkin Ale that people are always brewing in the fall is some of the nastiest most foul tasting crap ever - I can't believe anyone can drink that garbage.

I have to agree, I've yet to try a pumpkin ale that was not disgusting... I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I just haven't tried it... :D

i've had a few. me and a few friends made a pumpkin mild ale IN A PUMPKIN that turned out great. the secret is being light on the spices. everyone overdoes it.

and don't add the spices to your boil. make a spice tea and add that at flameout.

I know a guy who did a honey + breastmilk wine...yep...honey and breastmilk...Supposedly it turned out very well. I imagine I would be adventurous enough to try it, but I remember seeing what it looked like in primary... *Blech*

Bob MarleyWine Dry-"hopped" with some contraband in college. It was quite enjoyable. My only problem now is sourcing some of the ingredients.

Back