...well, I forgot an ingredient...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woops

Reaction score
So.

The brew was going quite smoothly. Sanitizing was a breeze, I had thought ahead and ran all my water through the purifier beforehand, stuck right to the hop schedule, added in all the extras at the right time, everything seemed to be going great, right up until I added in the aroma hops at the end.

Then I realized that Sunday Night Football had been distracting me all night.

Then I realized that I didn't put a single pinch of extract in during the hour of boiling.

I had six pounds of various malt extract sitting inches away from my brewpot and never even THOUGHT about putting any of it in. Not until I put those finishing hops in, anyways, and looked down in absolute horror.

So, I did what any absent-minded brewer would do. I completely flipped out and panicked. I dumped in all six pounds and started frantically stirring to break it all up before the boil was done. Boil completed, not everything had broken up. Stuck the brewpot in the customary ice-bath-in-the-sink (which I had set up perfectly, with ice bags and an immersion ice block ready to go) and kept on stirring.

After about ten or fifteen minutes, I'd like to say that everything had broken up nicely. There was still some stuff floatin' around up top, but I figure that was mostly hops and other junk that normally floats around up top after a regular ol' brew. I finished the rest of the process without a hitch.

So.

Do you really need to boil extract for the full 60 minutes? Or just make sure that it's all dissolved before it goes in the primary? Has this even happened to any of you absent-minded people before? Shall I post updates as to just what happens when you completely forget to put in all extract until the last five minutes of the boil?

Out of all the possible things that could go wrong, I didn't exactly see myself making THIS big of a mistake before. :eek:

Thanks, folks.

Extract only needs to be boiled for a few minutes to sterilize it, so your good there. A lot of people add half in the last 15 minutes of so to help with hop utilization and keep carmelization to a minimum. I would have waited until everything was dissolved before taking it off the boil, but it should be fine.

It will probably be your best beer ever and you won't be able to make it that perfectly again :D

I always wait to add most of my extract during the last 10 minutes of the boil, so you're probably OK. What did you boil besides water and hops? Usually I'm doing a 4-5 lb partial mash and boil that plus a little extract until the last 10 minutes.

You'll probably have a bigger hop presence than you otherwise would have, and a lighter colored beer.

So.

The brew was going quite smoothly. Sanitizing was a breeze, I had thought ahead and ran all my water through the purifier beforehand, stuck right to the hop schedule, added in all the extras at the right time, everything seemed to be going great, right up until I added in the aroma hops at the end.

Then I realized that Sunday Night Football had been distracting me all night.

Then I realized that I didn't put a single pinch of extract in during the hour of boiling.

I had six pounds of various malt extract sitting inches away from my brewpot and never even THOUGHT about putting any of it in. Not until I put those finishing hops in, anyways, and looked down in absolute horror.

So, I did what any absent-minded brewer would do. I completely flipped out and panicked. I dumped in all six pounds and started frantically stirring to break it all up before the boil was done. Boil completed, not everything had broken up. Stuck the brewpot in the customary ice-bath-in-the-sink (which I had set up perfectly, with ice bags and an immersion ice block ready to go) and kept on stirring.

After about ten or fifteen minutes, I'd like to say that everything had broken up nicely. There was still some stuff floatin' around up top, but I figure that was mostly hops and other junk that normally floats around up top after a regular ol' brew. I finished the rest of the process without a hitch.

So.

Do you really need to boil extract for the full 60 minutes? Or just make sure that it's all dissolved before it goes in the primary? Has this even happened to any of you absent-minded people before? Shall I post updates as to just what happens when you completely forget to put in all extract until the last five minutes of the boil?

Out of all the possible things that could go wrong, I didn't exactly see myself making THIS big of a mistake before. :eek:

Thanks, folks.

You'll be fine.

I always add my DME at around 15 minutes. I add about 1 pound to the boil at 60 minutes to help hop utilization, but the other 5 pounds goes in at 15ish.

It will be more bitter than planned, but unless the recipe was high IBU (for the style) to start, it should be ok.

Back