Help. Losing my C02 somehow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickbow9

Reaction score
So I am new to kegging and am working with two borrowed cornys. I have lost a 3rd 20 lb tank now and am totally frustrated. Here is where I am at. I have regastketed both and pressure tested both and used keg lube. I have force carbonated 2 different beers, and they serve fine but only have gas for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks after dialing down to serving pressure. I was using the wrong gas line qd on the liquid post and was getting very minor amounts of liquid around the post from the qd. I was too ignorant to think anything of it. I have a set screw style clamp on the gas line hose attachment to the regulator(wonder if that matters)? Is it possible that I have a gas leak coming from my liquid post/qd location? I would think a leak from there would be all liquid. Next I feel like getting a brand new regulator as mine is old and after 3 tanks of gas I have lost confidence. Any advice would help.

If all else fails, spray your regulator (front and back). There have been a few threads on here recently where the regulator body itself gets a pinhole leak right through (seemingly) solid metal.

Thanks. I am fearing this, as well as being able to hear my gauge making very faint noise. My friend said they all do a bit but we will keep looking. Maybe $45-$60 for a new one is where I should be going.

Thanks. I am fearing this, as well as being able to hear my gauge making very faint noise. My friend said they all do a bit but we will keep looking. [...]

They do not. Your friend is mistaken. Assuming a stable environment, once a gas system reaches equilbrium there is no gas flow through the regulator, and there will be no noise. And I mean "use a stethoscope on it" no noise.

You have a leak. Find it...

Cheers!

Dish soap and water will provide you with a little more bubblage to fully cover the connections/parts to look for growing bubbles. Also, previous poster is correct, any noise at all is bad. Regulators should only make noise when you're making an adjustment or pushing gas (dispensing a beer).

After your done checking the reg. check your disconnects also (spray with soapy water), next move onto your gaskets (on the keg) you should keep them lubed with keg lube, otherwise they tend to shrink, and crack, which will cause leaks. Next check your poppet valve on the keg posts, and the gaskets on the dip tubes. Personally I've had gas leaks from, bad poppets, dip tube O-rings, disconnects, and keg lid O-rings before. Approach the problem in a step by step basis, and you'll figure it out:mug:

If you have gas shut-off's, it makes it a lot easier to narrow down the leak.

#1: Fill the lines then shut the tank off
#2: Shut off the output valve to the regulator. See if it holds pressure for an hour or two. If so, its not the regulator.
#3: Turn output valve to regulator back on, then shut off all outputs to your distribution manifold (assuming you only have one manifold). See if you hold pressure.
#4: If that all holds pressure, start turning on gas one by one to whatever is hooked up and try again.

Once you find where it causes your dip in pressure, use dish soap, StarSan, Mr. Bubble, etc. to locate the leak.

The hardest leaks are intermittent. I have one where it won't leak for several days then all of a sudden leak for a day then stop again. Very hard to narrow down.

Back