Wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwchemist

Reaction score
I am thinking of attempting a wild strain fermentation. I was curious to hear if and how well others experiments have gone. From what I understand the wild strains in the Pacific Northwest can be used with fair amount of success.

I am trying to collect wild yeast for the second time this morning. The first time was an utter failure. To be honest it won't kill me if this fails also.

I am planning on using a fermentation bucket dedicated to wild strains. I was planning on leaving it out for 12 hours. I know this may end up a little sour but I'm fine with that.

I was planning on 8 or so hours. I am used mid-sized spegetti sauce jars with voile fabric over the top to keep insects out. I figure I will let them ferment some then take a small sample with a straw and if it is ok make a small 1 gal batch of beer to build up a culture.

Back